Recently in Reading Responses Category

Reading #6: ch4 Layout

After reading this chapter i have some ideas of how to layout my text and photos in my booklet. I am going to create visual hierarchy by leaving white space. I am also going to attempt to show juxtaposition with the imagery of a farm and industrial equipment. And all the text is going to be center aligned.

Reading #5: ch2-3 Layout

When thinking about how i am going to put my booklet together i am going to take a hint from design studios and research all the different solutions and what has been used in similar projects in the past. I am also going to research more about the product. I am going to also take note from the reading and create unity, heirarchy, and repetition in my design by using color, texture, and grid.

Reading #4: International Design

When I was reading this article I found it surprising that he said the Iranian design schools don't really teach their students the fundamentals of communication and other stuff that is important in the graphic design field. If the message is unclear to the audience then what is the point of the design? You shouldn't have to use have a separate description to help explain the design to you. The design schools over there should change their curriculum so their design students can get the most design training they can so they can be the best graphic designers they can.

Reading #3: Charity Work

While reading this week's chapter I found it interesting to hear that many design companies are willing to put some of their paying clients on hold for a few days in order to work solely on their charity client's work. Even though the charity clients don't pay as much it is nice to know that they hold some importance in the design world. If I was asked to create a poster or design something for a charity I think i would do the same thing. Even though it would mean working with a smaller budget and all that, I think it would be a lot more fun having more creative freedom and having to figure out how to create the best thing with the resources I am given. It would definitely switch things up a bit.

Reading #2 : Color Theories

Much of this reading I had already known before such as the basic color wheels and some of the different moods that certain colors create but there were still a few things that really peaked my interest.

The three dimensional color model that Philip Runge & Nicholas Rood developed was so intricate and calculated out that i thought it would be kind of hard understand but i was surprised that it is actually pretty easy to figure out. It makes perfect sense that this color model is used to help specify colors in manufacturing processes. It seems like all the calculated colors would really make it easy to communicate what colors to use between designer and manufacturer.

Reading #1

It was very interesting to read about all the different tricks and techniques that some designers use to attract the attention of their needed audience. It really does not suprise me to hear that it is getting more difficult to astonish people (audience) visually. We are constantly shown images that are meant to be new and shocking which is making us accept these ideas faster than ever before. It seems like we are constantly wanting to see something new.

It is no suprise that designers now have to use techniques that are meant to trick and stimulate the audiences mind. The reading talked about using hidden images, heat-sensitive materials, 3D forms, and some other interesting techniques to make their work stand out and attract more people.

One concept that was mentioned in the reading was about an organization called Friends of Earth who wanted to make a statement about acid rain in London. They were able to use treated paper that had a message that faded from blue to red over a few weeks. The message said "This is litmus paper. When acid rain is falling you should see red". This kind of design technique I am sure was able to catch many people's attention and create more awareness in an interesting way.

If the designers of today are having to use these very innovative techniques now, it really makes me wonder how much our design aspects will have to change as time goes by. What crazy stuff will we have to come up with to catch our audience's attention?

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.