Recently in Visual Research Category

Dada examples

1
2
3
4

Contemporary Issues throwback design

ww3ads.jpg

Here is a cover for some sort of magazine about war issues. It has a a pop art style to it but is still contemporary in some ways.

Magazine Article

I looked through some of my Popular Photography magazines and found an article that was called "Catching Kids". This article was about how to capture the photos of kids.

There were 8 photos that showed some great examples of how to take the best photos of kids in different situations. Whether it was 5 year olds playing soccer or a high school graduation, they all seemed to be perfect examples of what to do.

Not only did the photos go well with the article but the typography did as well. The main portion of the article was just basic Times New Roman, which is typical for every article, but the character type that was used for the title was perfect. Since the article is about photography of children, they used a font that looks like a kid had written it. It just brought the article to the next level.

Catching Kids Article

Anatomy of a Poster

stylehigh.jpg

As you look at this poster you can see that they are making strong references to radiation with the title, person with the gas mask, and the radiation warning symbols floating down from the main bubble. You can also see that they are referencing a mushroom cloud with the shape of the black object. And the colors chosen seem to have a pop art influence as well.

H21.jpg
ipod-alone-dt.jpg
pop-art-tableau.jpg

Parody: anatomy #1

I found it particularly shocking to read that this poster was placed along with the original iPod ads and that many people just thought it was part of the apple campaign. I know that the designer, Copper Greene, created this poster in order to get word out to the masses about what was going on over in Iraq, but i dont think it was appropriate for them to place it along with the original campaign posters. Those posters are everywhere and there are some people such as young children who i believe should not be exposed to images like this.

International Design

coex_work_f17.jpg
Joram Rozov, Israel

The type of imagery in this poster from Israel is a pile of sand bags that are generally used to hide behind in war zones. There is not much color included besides tans and browns. This could be the case because there is not much color in the israeli culture, along with the fact that the sand bags are all just one solid color. Adding more color wouldn't enhance the poster in anyway.

I could see the message being conveyed in this poster being seen the same way in the US. However, i could see some people thinking more of coming together in floods and helping with creating sand bag dams as well as war issues.

There definitely not more humor in this design. It seems like a lot of American posters about war try to make it more humorous in order to cut the tension, whereas this one is simply to the point.

One of the cultural influences shown in this design is that there are probably a lot of these bags piled up in that part of the world since it seems like there have been a lot of wars in the region. the people of that area will probably be able to take a look at this poster and know exactly what it is referring to. Also i am pretty sure many Israeli people read right to left so it is fitting that the text is written that way.

research for DIVERSITY poster

For my diversity poster i am thinking about doing a poster that is somewhat of a 1950's throwback ad for different flavored ice cream. I looked at the internet for examples of old ads and here are some examples of what i found that could work for my idea.

add_1950s-34205940.jpg
ad-1957-07.gif
-I like how these show excitement from the people in the ads and show that the products are really good

tn_freevintageimagesretro1950sadart4_jpg.jpg
-In this one i like how the people are kinda cartoonish and not recognizable (can be anyone)

regan7xm.jpg
-i just thought this one was hilarious

Research for COEXIST poster

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

Peace.jpg

Vote Posters

While looking at the AIGA posters i came across this poster for a VOTE campaign in 2008. It really caught my eye because it was a very interesting image with a bold color against pure white. At first glance all i saw was just a random shape but then after looking at it for a few seconds i saw that it was a person's face formed from the word VOTE. This poster does a good job of tricking the eye while still getting the main point across.

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/selected-posters-2008#15

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Visual Research category.

Reading Responses is the previous category.