« Chipotle Revisted | Main | The Food of Makeup »

The Bottom Line

All this talk about food and health and blah blah blah must have the reader wondering, "why is she doing this?" Good question reader, good question. I'm really not just eating healthy to lose weight or because it's a cool fad. Seriously. If I were that type of person, I would have died 2 years ago in the Atkin's diet meat-raffle-athon.

In all reality, my desire for healthy food and an overall healthy living came after reading a string of muck-racking books (more notably Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation) and subsequently hearing about tainted food in grocery stores on the news. I think that's what really sealed the deal.

What I learned from Omnivore's Dilemma was that my consumption was not just hurting my health, but the health of the farming industry, the American economy, and spilling over to the rest of the world. I'm not just against the trans fat and high fructose corn syrup; I'm against the entire agri-military complex. The way that nutrients are sucked dry from the earth and pesticides are drained into lakes are really big issues for a tree-hugger like myself. And although I'm not an animal rights activist, after reading Fast Food Nation's account about what happens in a slaughterhouse, I just feel disgusted thinking about what goes into a mcchicken or a nacho belle grande.

So, dear reader, in short (and diatribe-ish way), this is why I eat healthy, natural food.