Library Update to Geology Faculty

This week I attended the geology faculty meeting to present a few new and not-so-new library updates. There I also got the chance to introduce the libraries new Copyright Librarian who gave a wonderful presentation of the new services we offer. Here is her contact info:

Nancy Sims, nasims@umn.edu
http://www.lib.umn.edu/copyright/

If you missed my update or want more info on what I highlighted, I've added some l links to the topics I mentioned at the meeting:

• Library Budget
    The Geology budget remains level this year, however, things might change for FY10, so please get any requests to me ASAP. I can manage most one-time purchases, such as books, e-books, online reference material, or journal back-files. Journal subscriptions, that require an ongoing commitment, will be harder to instate at this time, but I'm happy to hear about them so that I can prioritize.
  • Retiree
    Gary Fouty, past Geology Librarian, retired in May 2009. We miss his expertise in everything already!
  • Pillsbury hours
    Librarian Office hours in Pillsbury continue throughout the regular school year. I'm available for library research questions from 1-3 on Tuesdays in the reading room. Otherwise I'm happy to meet with you or students by appointment when convenient.
  • Moved Reference
    The reference room in Walter underwent a change this year. We "moved" the reference desk, staffed by full-time librarians, from Walter room 206 to a more prominent location at the 2nd floor circulation desk in the Great Hall.
  • Blogs
    Uthink Blogs, managed by the library, has been upgraded. New features include the ability to easily build a forum (closed or open) and a custom website.
  • GMail
    Google Apps Suite will be offered to students from the freshman class this fall. If you are curious to know more about what these apps are all about, sign up for a library workshop to find out.
  • Maps
    Did you know the maps can be checked out just like a book? Now they are easier to find since the geology map collection in Walter is halfway complete with cataloging all maps into the online catalog. We now have the US state maps added. We are working on the foreign collection next. Try searching our mashup application which uses google maps to present the cataloged collection, including all maps in the TC libraries, called MapHappy, still in beta. I'm been the lead developer on this project and would love your feedback!
  • Student help
    Tutoring services have been moved to Walter smart learning commons in math, physics, and other subjects. Geology Tutoring is also available in other smart commons library locations.
  • Research data
    I've been involved with a campus initiative to look at cyberinfrastructure and how the future of digital data will affect the archiving, preservation, and sharing of important research. If you have a digital data collection that you are interested in preserving, we would love to have some preliminary examples of what issues you face, how you manage you data, and what grant funding agencies are requiring you to do to make sure your data stands the test of time. Email me to discuss this important topic.