A Copyright Story

In celebration of April 23rd, the 14th World Book and Copyright Day, proclaimed by UNESCO I wanted to share a copyright success story.

I was accepted for publication earlier this month in a journal owned by T&F. The "Transfer of Copyright Agreement" they sent was not great. It significantly limited my rights, namely it withheld:

• the non-exclusive right to use, reproduce, distribute, and make derivative works of the article in all areas of my profession (not just teaching)
  • the ability to legally contribute this work, or some preprint form of it, to my university's institutional repository after an embargo period of 6-months (or other negotiable time period).

My first step was to send them the UMN's author addendum (pdf). This is a document approved by the CIC and provided by each of the big 10 universities that reclaims some of the copyrights I mention above. Read more at the library's scholarly communications page.

Rather than accepting the addendum, as other publishers have reportedly done, they sent me a second, secret copyright agreement that they "don't like to give out."

The appropriately named "Author or Company Owned Copyright Transfer" is an agreement that allows the publisher to use my work for the journal in this instance only and specifically states that the

Copyright of the manuscript remains in the author’s name and the author reserves all other rights.

So, bottom line, it was worth the trouble and it didn't hurt to ask (in this case). Any other successful copyright stories? Horrors?

For more info on the April 23rd, 2009 World Book and Copyright Day visit the website http://www.unesco.org/culture/bookday

Thanks for posting this! This is a great story.

I am a former UofM grad student and find that the "addendum" is not available to me. Could this be made available?

Sure, here is the open pdf
Download file.

I hope you are able to make use of it!

I had that exact same experience with Taylor and Francis last month, as did a colleague of mine. They wouldn't accept the SPARC addendum, but they happily sent me the "author retains copyright" form(though counseling me that it was not in my best interest to use it).

Just thought i would comment and say neat design, did you code it yourself? Looks great.

Some really nice and utilitarian information on this internet site, likewise I believe the design holds fantastic features.

Recent Comments

• Rolland Ondeck: Some really nice and utilitarian information on this internet site, read more
  • world book children encyclopedia set: Just thought i would comment and say neat design, did read more
  • Deborah Kaplan: I had that exact same experience with Taylor and Francis read more
  • Lisa Johnston: Sure, here is the open pdf Download file. I hope read more
  • Yaroslav Lutsyshyn: Thanks for posting this! This is a great story. I read more

About Me

This page contains a single entry by Lisa Johnston published on April 22, 2009 9:24 AM.

International Year of Astronomy DVD was the previous entry in this blog.

New Books March is the next entry in this blog.