Recently in Impact factors Category

Interesting article from the digital library section of the arXiv:

On the meaning of the h-index
Authors: S. Redner
(Submitted on 4 Feb 2010)
arXiv:1002.0878v1 [physics.data-an]

Abstract: The h-index -- the value for which an individual has published at least h papers with at least h citations -- has become a popular metric to assess the citation impact of scientists. As already noted in the original work of Hirsch and as evidenced from data of a representative sample of physicists, sqrt{c} scales as h, where c is the total number citations to an individual. Thus sqrt{c} appears to be equivalent to the h index. As a further check of this equivalence, the distribution of the ratio s=sqrt{c}/2h for this sample is sharply peaked about 1. The outliers in this distribution reveal fundamentally different types of individual publication records.

Speaking of Impact Factors, the May issue of Epidemiology has several short articles questioning the use of Impact Factors in response to a social experiment presented in the same issue. Personally, I like IF's. They are useful and interesting tools to track, evaluate, and visualize scientific endeavors. But then again, I'm a librarian and this is an interesting hobby for us. We don't risk our jobs on them...

Rise and Fall of the Thomson Impact Factor.
Epidemiology. 19(3):373-374, May 2008.
Allen J. Wilcox

The Impact Factor Follies.
Epidemiology. 19(3):372, May 2008.
Richard Rothenberg

How Come Scientists Uncritically Adopt and Embody Thomson's Bibliographic Impact Factor?
Epidemiology. 19(3):370-371, May 2008.
Miquel Porta; Carlos ?lvarez-Dardet

Impact Factor: Good Reasons for Concern.
Epidemiology. 19(3):369, May 2008.
Moyses Szklo

Impact Factors: A how-to guide

It used to be that the best way to discover a journal's 'Impact Factor" (ahem, the average number of citations made to the journal's content over the course of a few years...thereby implying readership) was to use the expensive, library resource ISI's Web of Science (formerly the Science Citation Index). ISI has recently taken some heat following a debunking article from the editors of Cell who were unable to replicate ISI impact factors since the company is both secretive and selective regarding the type of articles they include in their calculations.

Now there are a few alternatives for Impact Factor calculations: SCImago Journal and Country Rank (SJR) and Google Scholar. They too have pros and cons...

Recent Comments

• Jefferey Schauf: Hey very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. read more
  • Mathew Licalzi: I was just seeking this info for some time. After read more
  • Rico Newlin: Hi,Saw your blog bookmarked on Digg. Seriously cool Wonderful job. read more
  • Theodore Scrobola: I’m so lucky to individual found this kind of site read more
  • sex-dating: Leg contact met honderden lekkere vrouwen, mannen en koppels voor read more
  • nike free run: There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I read more
  • nike shox: I want to express some appreciation to this writer just read more
  • nike sko: There are some fascinating closing dates on this article but read more
  • nike sko: I not to mention my guys were found to be read more
  • baju bayi: New Books for October and November - Physics and Astronomy read more

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Impact factors category.

events is the previous category.

Information Literacy is the next category.