Recently in Reference Category

The library database Web of Science (formerly Science Citation Index) can be set to deliver e-mail notifications each time someone cites your work. Here are brief instructions on setting up these alerts, but feel free to call me for more personalized assistance.

1. Start at the Web of Science homepage.

2. Search by author's last name and first, middle initials. Ex. "Last, FM" (...indecently also a great website for free music).

3. On the next screen, refine the results to Institution (Univ Minnesota) and view the results (since 1974).

Note: From the results screen you may "Create a Citation Report," linked in top right of results screen. This will show who has cited which paper and when.

4. Setting up alerts is a bit cumbersome since you must do it for each individual paper (and not by author). Back in the results screen, click on an article title. In the right, under "Cited by" there is a link to "Create a citation alert." Click this link for each article you wish to track who is citing.

Note: You will need to sign up for a free Web of Science account.

The limitation with Web of Science however will be where your work is cited, for example, if you get cited in a narrow society journal not covered by this database, you will not see this result. Google scholar may let you see these obscure citations (search by article title, then click "Cited by") but the capacity to track citations is not yet available.

More Info:
For more info on the Web of Science, I teach a workshop called "Research Made Easy: Discover the Web of Science." Check the Sci/Eng library for the next available session (probably in the fall).

Students are often finding it difficult to locate GRE material on the web and ultimately head to the bookstore to purchase an expensive test prep book (that's what I did anyway...). Fortunately there are a number of free (and official) test prep solutions out there for both the GRE and the Physics subject test.

Here is a good list to get started (more info available from the SciEng Library website)

EST Registration page
You may register for a GRE test here.

To prepare, download the PDF of the GRE Test Prep Booklet

GRE Powerprep® Software (free) can be downloaded to your desktop and includes the computer version of the GRE practice test as two computer-based GRE General Tests.

Physics Prep Test:
Amazon charges $21 for it...yet it's free on the EST site. Pays to know a librarian? If the above link doesn't work, download the file here.

Of course, now you need some places to apply:
Graduate School Directory for Physics and Astronomy
by the American Institute of Physics (AIP). A comprehensive online source for researching graduate programs in the physical sciences, Astronomy and related fields.

Recent Comments

• Jefferey Schauf: Hey very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. read more
  • Mathew Licalzi: I was just seeking this info for some time. After read more
  • Rico Newlin: Hi,Saw your blog bookmarked on Digg. Seriously cool Wonderful job. read more
  • Theodore Scrobola: I’m so lucky to individual found this kind of site read more
  • sex-dating: Leg contact met honderden lekkere vrouwen, mannen en koppels voor read more
  • nike free run: There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I read more
  • nike shox: I want to express some appreciation to this writer just read more
  • nike sko: There are some fascinating closing dates on this article but read more
  • nike sko: I not to mention my guys were found to be read more
  • baju bayi: New Books for October and November - Physics and Astronomy read more

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reference category.

news is the previous category.

Scholarly Communication is the next category.