Caps for Caleb helps child with medical expenses

by TOM BENSON

DULUTH, Minn. - Normally when someone is "spinning you a yarn" it means that you're in for something that might be over exaggerated, hard to believe, far fetched if you will.

Someone is spinning Caleb Nord a yarn.Quite a few people, actually.But in his case, that old adage takes on a literal, and more powerful meaning.

"He's got the brightest blue eyes," said his grandmother Rhonda Peterson "Just a darling little baby."

Caleb was diagnosed with a rare form of FHL-V (familial hemophagocyticlymphohistiocytosis V)when he was only 19 months old. FHL-V is a genetic disorder where the body's immune system attacks non-invasive healthy cells. The intensity of the disorder required Caleb to undergo both chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant.

Although Caleb has substantial health insurance, the medical bills would eventually cap the $1 million-policy mark that the policy covers.

That gave Peterson an idea.

Using her skill and passion for knitting, Peterson and some of her friends who work at the Yarn Harbor began "Caps For Caleb" a fundraiser that sells hand-knit caps to help with Caleb's ongoing treatments.

"I just figured, I'll let the doctors do what they can and I'll do what I can," she said "Whenever someone buys a cap for their baby's head they'll be helping my little guy get better too."

The store only fundraiser has since blossomed into various other events such as charity banquets and silent auctions.

Anyone wishing to support Caleb and his family can purchase a cap from Yarn Harbor in the Mount Royal Shopping Center or can contribute directly to the Caleb Nord Donation Account at US Bank.

This page contains a single entry by Jour 2101 published on November 30, 2010 8:47 PM.

Game Planet leaves Kenwood shopping plaza was the previous entry in this blog.

Students curious about old Armory for Dinkytown area is the next entry in this blog.