Longwell kick seals victory for Vikings

by HALEY KNOPIK

MINNEAPOLIS- The Minnesota Vikings who are 1-3 played the Dallas Cowboys (1-3) at 3p.m. downtown Minneapolis on Oct. 17 with a final score of 24-21, thanks to Vikings' kicker Ryan Longwell, who kicked a 38-yard field goal with 4:05 left in the fourth quarter.

"Today is an important game," sad Dallas fan Chris Hoppe, a 20-year-old from Sartell, Minn. Said. "I have high hopes for the Cowboys but the Vikes are on their home territory. Either way, it is going to be an intense game."

Vikings' quarterback Brett Favre on retiring said, "I wouldn't say months. I know people are rolling their eyes or will roll their eyes. In a situation like this, I really don't want to make a decision right now based only on what's happened."

Laura Mackey, a 22-year-old college graduate from Anoka, Minnesota said, "I have mixed feelings about Favre. He continues to play despite his injuries. It wouldn't kill him to sit out one game, if not half of it."

The Cowboys had what seemed like an unbeatable lineup. Tony Romo, quarterback for the Cowboys, and Marion Barber teamed up for a touchdown in the first quarter. By halftime, the game was tied at 21. After an interception from Randy Moss in the third quarter, the Vikings took the lead as kicker Ryan Longwell made a field goal, bringing the score to 24-21.

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson had improved his blocking during the Dallas game, according to Vikings head coach Brad Childress. "He [Peterson] did a great job of stepping up in there. It's never been about his willingness to pick it up," Childress said. "There's just some intricate details on how we're going to pick them up...he did an outstanding job on that play."

The Cowboys played hard defensively but were slammed with 10 penalties for 91 yards and quarterback Tony Romo threw two interceptions. For both teams this game had been estimated that the loser would likely not make the playoffs. As for Favre, he ended the game being sacked three times by the Cowboys defense was 14-for-19 for 118 yards, with one touchdown.

This page contains a single entry by Jour 2101 published on November 21, 2010 9:18 PM.

Journalists face political complexities in Egypt was the previous entry in this blog.

Bloggers need identification to stand up for their beliefs is the next entry in this blog.