Recently in Hard News 2: Story Ideas Category

Story Ideas: Amy Berg

by AMY BERG

1. A topic that would be interesting would be the issue of the mini-truck regulations. It was in the Duluth News Tribune the next day. Councilman Dan Hartman said that this would be the most exciting thing on the agenda for that meeting, so I would contact him.

Story Ideas: Tom Benson

by TOM BENSON

Tom Benson

One potential story idea that I got from the City Council meeting was the controversy surrounding the Fond Du Luth casino's revenue paid to the City of Duluth. A source to start that investigation would be the attorney for the City of Duluth, Gunnar Johnson.

Story Ideas: Emily Schnacky

by EMILY SCHNACKY

Resolution authorizing a contract with Morton International Inc., Morton salt
division, for the purchase and delivery of road salt for the 2010‐2011 season
(October‐April) at a total amount of $772,808.85 by Councilor Gauthier, Public
Works and Utilities. This was removed. Concerned citizen Saunders spoke about
the environment and how salt run off is harming the environment and trout in
streams in particular. Looking into this more and how salt does harm the
environment would make an interesting story especially to the city of Duluth
because of the large amount of salt that is used every winter. Looking into possible
alternatives and substitutes to salt would make an interesting story idea. Even
though the council did pass this unanimously they showed signs of concern.
Possible sources to contact would be Morton International Inc., citizen Saunders, an
environmental research facility, and former records to show how much salt has
been used in previous years would be essential to this story.

Story Ideas: Haley Knopik

by HALEY KNOPIK

1). The first story idea I am proposing would be the ordinance relating to the planting, maintaining and removal of vegetation on public & private property as addressed by President Anderson. I feel that this would be a good topic to discuss because a lot of the citizens in Duluth (that I have seen & met), are fairly concerned with the environment. The entire city is trying to "go green" and reduce their carbon footprint, and to make citizens knowledgeable about infected trees or plants in their yards could help maintain a healthy neighborhood. Potential sources I would contact would be the DNR, local environment or "tree hugger" clubs, and passionate gardeners and lawn keepers.

Story Ideas: Julie Krienke

by JULIE KRIENKE

I think an interesting story would be how the use of road salt is affecting the local lakes and rivers, as well as the storm sewers in the area. Linda Sellner, a past Duluth City Council member and concerned citizen, spoke at the meeting Monday night about the use of road salt and how the city is using it in extremely large portions. Sellner is concerned about how the extensive use of salt is costing the city large sums of money and is also negatively affecting the environment. Discussed at the council meeting was how the city can distribute salt and monitor the maintenance done on local roads.

Story Ideas: Madiha Mirza

by MADIHA MIRZA

The Duluth City Council meeting on Monday evening discussed six ordinances. The following two ordinances are possible story ideas:

1. BY COUNCILOR STAUBER (PLANNING & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT)
10-052-O - AN ORDINANCE DESIGNATING THE PROPERTY KNOWN AS THE JOHN J. ASTOR PARK A/K/A HISTORICAL PARK AS A LOCAL HERITAGE PRESERVATION LANDMARK

Story Ideas: Anne Kunkel

by ANNE KUNKEL

I think that a story about Dan Hendrickson suing the city would make a good story, if even a human interest story. Maybe I could dig in a little bit and see what lead to him not getting the help he thought was necessary from the city. I would interview Dan Hendrickson, the man who signed the contract stating that the city would cover Hendrickson's costs, and President Anderson from City Council to see if he had heard of this problem and how he wants to resolve it. I feel that this would be an important story for the public, and especially for those who have maybe had the same problems. Maybe it would give them an idea on how to fix it or voice their concerns.

Story Ideas: Stephanie Johnson

by STEPHANIE JOHNSON

The over use of salt on the road would be a good topic. Another one would be the maintaining and removal of plants on public and private property. The sources would be the City Council and possibly residents that take the issue into consideration and how they feel about it. Another source would be the people who actually remove or maintain the plants and trees on private and public property.

Story Ideas: Jillian Sorcan

by JILLIAN SORCAN

I feel that if Stanley Hendrickson actually took the City to court and had an ongoing case against Duluth for reimbursement for his sewer line, it could turn into a story that would interest Duluth citizens, because something much like Hendrickson's situation could happen to them. I'd want to contact both Stanley Hendrickson and the Duluth City Council for information regarding the story, because then I'd be able to hear what happened from both sides.

Story Ideas: Luke Wieneke

by LUKE WIENEKE

1. Morton Road Salt ordering: The amount of salt bought and its effect on the environment when it goes into the storm drain system. Contacts are Councilor Gauthier and Linda Sellner, an environmentalist.

Story Ideas: Annelyse Harrison

by ANNELYSE HARRISON

Failure of Mini-truck ordinance
Possible Sources:
• Council President Jeff Anderson - his view on the Mini-truck.
• Councilor Dan Hartman - his view on the Mini-truck.
• Local mechanics - how does the Mini-truck differ from road-regulated vehicles?
• Mini-truck owners - their thoughts on the failure of the ordinance.

Story Ideas: Olivia King

by OLIVIA KING

• City Sued for Allegedly not Reimbursing Local Man
o Stanley Hendrickson told the Duluth City Council that they had been "served" last night and had 20 days to act after he complained about the city of Duluth not reimbursing him after they installed a new water main on his property. "I've honored my part, now they must honor theirs," Hendrickson said.
o Who: Stanley Hendrickson
o What: Suing the city of Duluth
o When: October 25th
o Where: Duluth City Council Meeting
o Why: They didn't live up to their contract
o Would contact Stanley Hendrickson, attorney for Duluth, Duluth mayor

Story Ideas: Tony Schmitt

by TONY SCHMITT

My first story idea would to be to write a full story on the road salt resolution. This story has local appeal because of the environmental impact and because winter is write around the corner. Potential sources for the story would be Linda Selner who spoke about the problems the road salt is causing, Dave Montgomery because he discussed some about what is being done in an attempt to reduce the salt and I would also talk with those involved with salting the road and get opinions from local inhabitants.

Story Ideas: Jarred Peterson

by JARRED PETERSON

1. To Find out about the dispute between the city of Duluth and the Fond du Lac tribe about their agreement of having a casino downtown and the tride refusing to pay anymore.

Contact: Council President Jeff Anderson
Number: (218) 730-5351 Email: jeffanderson@duluthmn.gov

Story Ideas: Amy Berg

by AMY BERG

Story Ideas: Klaus Snyder

by KLAUS SNYDER

1.) The tree inspectors and their going on to people's properties without permission. I would like to interview the man in charge of the proposal, Councilor Anderson, and some random people. I would find out how they would feel about the possibility of people being able to enter their property for an inspection without permission.

Story Ideas: Kaylie Reynolds

by KAYLIE REYNOLDS

I think that the mini truck story would have been an interesting idea. I would contact the man that had the mini truck that was trying to legalize it. I would also contact city officials to get their opinion on the issue.

Story Ideas: Princess Kisob

by PRINCESS KISOB

Idea 1: If I were to write a story from one of the topic brought up in the city council meeting my first choice would be ordinance 546. This ordinance was appealed by Linda Sellner. Linda Sellner is a Duluth residence and from my understanding a scientist of some sort. She spoke to the council about their excessive use of road salt in the winter and how it is affecting our aquatic life [in Lake Superior] as well as costing tax payers money to fix sewers that are damaged yearly by road salt.

Story Ideas: Nick Miller

by NICK MILLER

1) Story about the effects of road salt on the local enviroment
Sources: council members, local researchers.
2) Story about the city being sued over a contract with a private citizen.
Sources: The citizen that is suing, city lawyers, council members.

Story Ideas: Ann Schmitz

by ANN SCHMITZ

Making a collective section of council for all utilities intrigued me so I think a great story would be to interview a few members from the Public Utilities commission. Specifically interviewing the members on the water deficit and how Duluth is going to fix this problem with the storm water fund. Being an area that cares about the beautiful great lake and environment it only makes sense that it would be a hot topic.

Story Ideas: Lizzy Blackmon

by LIZZY BLACKMON

-I would continue to investigate 546 involving salting the streets. The newspaper reader could probably think of better things than killing grass and rusting cars to do with $772,808.05. Going 'green seems to be fashionable as of late so I would write an article listing possibilities, eco effects, and of course comparing cost to what the proposed budget. Potential contacts would be the woman who spoke to the council and her colleges who are working on her research study, MN sea grant because they monitor waterways and polluting water seems to be a big issue. To get the other side I might contact someone from public works and utilities to see why they choose salt year after year and the salt manufacturer so they could defend their product.

Story Ideas: Holly Nelson

by HOLLY NELSON

Story Ideas:
1) Salt Conflict
a. How much do other cities spend on salt in the winter compared to Duluth? (cities that receive a comparable amount of snow)
i. Interviewees
1. Linda Sellner
2. Morton Salt Inc.
3. Duluth Road Maintenance crew
4. Other city road maintenance crew/salt distributors
2) Mini-Truck Conflict

Story Ideas: Tom Benson

by TOM BENSON

Story Ideas: Reegan Lloyd

by REEGAN LLOYD

Stanley Henrickson's law suit against the city of Duluth, would make a great front page story. Obviously, Mr. Henrickson would be an excellent source, and I would possibly talk with a council member to get their opinion on the matter.

Story Ideas: Danielle Arcand

by DANIELLE ARCAND

One possible story idea is an article about the road salt discussion. This would be of interest to the citizens of duluth because it has immediate and long-distance effects in their town and life. Potential sources would be the Minnesota Department of Transportation, Linda Selner, and environmental study professors and the local universities.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Hard News 2: Story Ideas category.

Hard News 2: City Hall Reflections is the previous category.

John Hatcher Editorial Analysis is the next category.