« September 2005 | Main | December 2005 »

SOD RefWorks Account Tracks Publications

I have just created a tool which I hope will be helpful for SOD faculty and staff, as well as to help me stay better informed about SOD research interests. I have set up a new RefWorks account where I will place citation information on all publications by U of M SOD faculty. This RefWorks account is open for all U of M SOD affiliates to look at or if they choose, update and add information such as book (author and/or editor) and conference proceedings. Here's the steps on how to access this new RefWorks database:

1.) Go to the main libraries web page at: http://www.lib.umn.edu

2.) Click on the link called RefWorks (located on the left side of the screen, under the heading called 'Quick Links'

3.) Click on the RefWorks login link

4.) Login to the account with these credentials:
login name: dentalschool
password: publications

5.) Once you are in RefWorks, you can see the 2004 publications by going to the View menu and selecting the folder called '2004 Publications.' The 2005 Publications are also there as well

Once you are in the folder and browsing through the citations if you click on the 'View' link to the right of the citation, you can get a fuller picture of the bibliographic elements. I have added the 2004 Journal Impact Factors for each of the journals on the entries.

RefWorks is a great tool for organizing and sharing citation information. If you have any questions about using RefWorks or would like an introduction, I'd be happy to schedule a consultation with you. Please feel free to contact me by phone (612/626-3643) or by email

Bio-Medical Library Open House is Next Week

The Bio-Medical Library is having its first-ever open house event next Tuesday, October 11 from 9:00-5:00. This is a great chance to meet with library staff, take a tour, or ask questions about a particular information problem. We'll be doing demos of library resources all day such as RefWorks, imagesMD, Science Citation Index, and many more. There will be food, giveaways, and the chance to win some great door prizes, including an mp3 player.

For more information on this event, and the full schedule, go to our Open House web page.

Hope to see you there :)