« January 2008 | Main | March 2008 »

NIH Public Access Policy and Author's Rights

Today I was happy to present at the School's Research Seminar series on the issue of the new NIH Public Access Policy and how this affects you as a published author of peer-reviewed journal articles.

The NIH Public Access Policy begins April 7, 2008. The policy makes it mandatory for all authors of research results, that are the result of NIH funding and published as a peer-reviewed journal article to submit their final, peer-reviewed manuscript into the NIH's online repository, PubMed Central.

Previously, this had been done on a voluntary basis, but in the interests of making this research publicly accessible to all, Congress added a provision in the law to make this a mandatory requirement.The article will be available in PubMed Central 12 months after the original publication date in the journal.

Please take a few minutes to look over my Power Point presentation from today. After today's session, I clarified a few points so for those of you who were present, it contains slightly expanded information.

As always, I'm happy to consult with you about this issue directly via email, or you may direct specific questions to this address: nihpublicaccess@umn.edu

New Resource for NBDE available

The Bio-Medical Library subscribes to a an online resource called ExamMasterOnline, which provides exams and questions for medical student test review.

Recently, ExamMaster Online added over 2200 questions for board prep for the National Board Dental Exam, part 1. All faculty, staff, and students at the U can access this resource via our home page at: http://www.biomed.lib.umn.edu. Once on our page, click on the letter 'E' from the A-Z list and select ExamMaster Online.

Users must set up a profile (come up with a separate username and password within the software) in order to run and save tests and questions. Once the profile is set, users can select Create Exams and then choose either Quick Start Exams or Custom Exams to go into the Dentistry question banks.

I'd be interested in any feedback from faculty or students about this resource. Please let me know if you have any questions about ExamMaster Online.