New journal - Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry

We have added online access to the Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry from 2002-present.

You can access this journal from either our E-Journals page, or from our online catalog MNCAT.

Please note that the publisher requires us to have users login with a username and password to access the full-text of any articles. You'll will be passed to a screen with this information when you search for this title on either the E-Journals or MNCAT search pages.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Journal Subscriptions for 2007

A listing of the Bio-Medical Library's current journal subscriptions for 2007 can be found here.

Many titles are converting from a print + online format to an online only for 2007. I've tried to indicate the online access for 2007, but in many cases we do not yet have this information from our vendors so this will be updated after the new year.

Also, online access for some of these titles will need to be initiated after 1/1/07 so there may be a slight lag time of when access is actually available.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions/comments/purchase suggestions!

Regards,

Lisa McGuire

Dentistry/Dental Hygiene Journals, 2004-05 FY

For more than a decade, the cost of health science journals have increased at a rate far greater than inflation. This has created a budget crisis for univeristy libraries across the country, forcing them to cancel journal subscriptions, refrain from beginning new journal subscriptions that are requested by faculty and staff, and to purchase fewer books.

I've attached a copy of my Excel spreadsheet that lists the current subscriptions for dentistry/dental hygiene journals for the fiscal year 2004-2005. Download file

You can see from this file that there are currently 54 active journal titles in the collection, with an average price increase for 2005 of 10.3%. In addition, the serial collection also contains a number of titles that we refer to as standing orders, which means that we are billed for these titles as we receive them from the publisher.

There is a strong possibility that we will need to cut titles from this list for 2006. I will be in further communication with SOD about this possibility as our financial picture becomes clearer later this summer.