Search Camp 2/15/12

1.) I am having trouble finding information on my topic. I chose to do my research paper on the effect of vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) on the newborn, but I am only finding information on the effect of a VBAC on the mother or just the effect of a cesarean section on the infant. I guess I am wondering if you have any recommendations for search keywords. I have used "VBAC" and "newborn" as well as "VBAC" and "TOL." Both of these resulted in findings that I mentioned above.

2.) The nursing intervention I will research is the use of "sweeties" -sugar water- as an analgesic for babies while they are undergoing certain procedures, for example x-ray or whatever. It is important that I find NURSING based research basically that nurses did the research or were the primary participants. The articles I found on Ovid that related seemed more pharmacology in nature.

Search Camp 1/18/12

1.) I'm doing my DNP project on pain contracts in primary care. I've been doing some searching using key words like "opioid pain contracts," "pain contracts," or "pain management in primary care" and I'm not finding much about contracts. I'm getting more general information on pain management of all sorts. Do you have any suggestions?

2.) I am focusing on motivational interviewing among minority, low-income, uninsured women to reduce CVD risk factors. I am having a hard time narrowing my search and capturing just this population. Any thoughts?

Search Camp 12/21/11

1a. We are looking for articles that describe outcomes/descriptive information about effects of public health nursing home visit interventions on mother mental health/well-being outcomes.
1b. We are doing this with a Latina adult and adolescent mother data set we have for a publication and would welcome anything else you find specific to home visiting and Latina mothers/women (as I imagine not much is out there specific to mental health, hence our analysis project).

2. I am trying to find articles about nursing regulation/laws related to practice and drug diversion. I know there are some published articles but they aren't showing up when I query CINAHL, OvidMedline, and PsychInfo. I have also tried the criminal abstracts data base. Any suggestions?

Search Camp 9/21/11

For my project, I am working on an intervention to improve primary care services for children with autism. I am starting over right now, and as a part of my needs assessment, I was hoping to find literature regarding how much parents of developmentally typical children retain from a pediatrician/NP/PA/etc. and compare that with what is retained from a visit for a behaviorally challenged child. My search strategies have come up with very little regarding what is retained/remembered.

It can be anything: immunizations, screening/testing, anticipatory guidance, medication instructions, referrals, follow-up plan. We are looking at both well-child and acute (ill) visits. What we have observed is that parents do not always completely retain/understand what they are being told by the provider in a typical office visit. When we have a child with autism or other behavioral disorders, they are frequently trying to run out of the room, stand on the tables, get the parent's attention, lay on the floor, etc. This must be distracting enough to affect understanding/retention, but I am unable to find any research related to primary care.

I have found some information related to parental stress in children with behavioral disorders, so that is not an issue. What I was hoping to find is something on information retention, either for children with ASD or for neurotypical children. Perhaps there is nothing out there . . .

Search Camp 7/20/11

1.) I'm looking for information on the psychological effects experienced by surrogates making decisions in acute/critical care or at the end of life.

2.) We are interested in exploring privacy policies and STI testing. More specifically, we're trying to find information on if someone were to come into primary care for STI testing, test positive, and decide not to tell their spouse. What are the ethical and practical implications for caregivers/providers? Is there any literature out there about this?

Search Camp 4/20/11

1. I am looking for epidemiologic research on epilepsy as it relates to cerebral palsy (in children preferred, but will use adults if not enough data on kids). I have found a few articles, but they are all from 2003 or earlier.

2. I am looking for a few articles on recruitment and retention of patients with stroke for participation in research studies.

Search Camp 11/17/10

I am looking for literature on how high fidelity simulation training creates a safe learning environment that enhances individual and team skills and communication before encountering patients.

Search Camp 8/25/10

1. My topic is best practice for the prevention of delirium in the hospitalized patient. I would like to focus specifically on prevention of delirium in dementia patients, but I'm concerned it's too narrow a focus.

2. Does prenatal micronutrient supplementation for women in low-to middle-income countries improve pregnancy outcomes such as preterm birth and low birth weights?

Search Questions 6/23/10

1. I am looking for papers published in the last 2-3 years related to where/how/why women seek out health information. There's probably not a lot, but I'm revising a paper and would like to add a few new references (maybe 5?) if possible.

2. I'm looking for research on animal-assisted therapy in patients with Alzheimer Disease.

Search questions 3/24/10

1.) I'm trying to research coping in people who are newly diagnosed with cancer, particularly what interventions nurses can do to help in that initial period. I've found a couple of qualitative studies about the experience of being newly diagnosed, but I'm not finding much about what nurses or other healthcare providers can actually DO to help people.

2.) I'm looking for research on breastfeeding in adolescent mothers - attitudes, factors that might affect breastfeeding, basically any research on breastfeeding in this age group. I'm having a hard time getting things that are just about teens.

3.) I am researching the uses of text messaging in healthcare. I think this is a very new area of research and so I think that it why I'm having so much difficulty. Do you have any ideas?

Search Questions 2/24/10

1. I am a graduate student in the psychiatric/mental health Clinical Nurse Specialist program. For an assignment this semester I am to do a literature review on the current psychotropic medications being prescribed to children 5 years of age and under. I'm getting tens of thousands of articles and I can't seem to limit it to the age group I'm looking for. How can I narrow it down?

2. I am looking to research if water births affect newborn infection rates during or shortly after delivery. I have tired searching keywords "water birth," "natural birth," "infant," "infection rates," etc. but I keep coming up with nothing or irrelevant articles. Are there other things I should try, or isn't there any research on this?

Search Question 1/27/10

I am starting my master's research project and need to find articles on waterbirths and neonatal outcomes. More specifically, I am interested in the length of stay for term infants born either in water or land births. I am also looking at the 5 minute apgar scores for term infants born in water vs. land. I am not finding much which does not surprise me, but I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. Could you please help me locate any articles that might apply to this research project?

Search Question 10/28/09

I am trying to find information about methods and/or effectiveness of providing anticipatory guidance (education before an illness occurs) to parents about viral and/or bacterial illnesses during a well-child visit. Some specific things I'd like to teach are when they should bring their child in if they are sick, when antibiotics are appropriate, etc.

Search questions 9/23/09

1. I am teaching a course about research dissemination issues in nursing. I am trying to find 8-10 articles that address issues/controversies about systematic reviews or meta-analyses (related to health sciences if possible) re: their influence on clinicians and possible bias (in articles included, conclusions, etc.). I have one article that is partly about this topic by I Chalmers and B Haynes in BMJ 1994; 309; 862-865. I was looking for more recent articles too.

2. I am trying to write a paper on intra-uterine devices (IUDs). Why do people choose IUD over other forms of birth control? What are the positives and consequences? What kinds of people can use it and what kinds of people can't? I am kind of stuck. I am not sure how to go about searching. When I go in to search I get very specific things and it is confusing me like crazy as I am trying to get my paper started. Please help.

Search question 8/26/09

My topic is education versus isolation of incarcerated inmates and staff with tuberculosis and the role of occupational health nurses to prevent the spread of disease. I am most interested in the occupational health aspects of managing TB.