Search Camp 2/15/12

1.) I am having trouble finding information on my topic. I chose to do my research paper on the effect of vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) on the newborn, but I am only finding information on the effect of a VBAC on the mother or just the effect of a cesarean section on the infant. I guess I am wondering if you have any recommendations for search keywords. I have used "VBAC" and "newborn" as well as "VBAC" and "TOL." Both of these resulted in findings that I mentioned above.

2.) The nursing intervention I will research is the use of "sweeties" -sugar water- as an analgesic for babies while they are undergoing certain procedures, for example x-ray or whatever. It is important that I find NURSING based research basically that nurses did the research or were the primary participants. The articles I found on Ovid that related seemed more pharmacology in nature.

Search Camp 1/18/12

1.) I'm doing my DNP project on pain contracts in primary care. I've been doing some searching using key words like "opioid pain contracts," "pain contracts," or "pain management in primary care" and I'm not finding much about contracts. I'm getting more general information on pain management of all sorts. Do you have any suggestions?

2.) I am focusing on motivational interviewing among minority, low-income, uninsured women to reduce CVD risk factors. I am having a hard time narrowing my search and capturing just this population. Any thoughts?

Search Camp 12/21/11

1a. We are looking for articles that describe outcomes/descriptive information about effects of public health nursing home visit interventions on mother mental health/well-being outcomes.
1b. We are doing this with a Latina adult and adolescent mother data set we have for a publication and would welcome anything else you find specific to home visiting and Latina mothers/women (as I imagine not much is out there specific to mental health, hence our analysis project).

2. I am trying to find articles about nursing regulation/laws related to practice and drug diversion. I know there are some published articles but they aren't showing up when I query CINAHL, OvidMedline, and PsychInfo. I have also tried the criminal abstracts data base. Any suggestions?

Search Camp 9/21/11

For my project, I am working on an intervention to improve primary care services for children with autism. I am starting over right now, and as a part of my needs assessment, I was hoping to find literature regarding how much parents of developmentally typical children retain from a pediatrician/NP/PA/etc. and compare that with what is retained from a visit for a behaviorally challenged child. My search strategies have come up with very little regarding what is retained/remembered.

It can be anything: immunizations, screening/testing, anticipatory guidance, medication instructions, referrals, follow-up plan. We are looking at both well-child and acute (ill) visits. What we have observed is that parents do not always completely retain/understand what they are being told by the provider in a typical office visit. When we have a child with autism or other behavioral disorders, they are frequently trying to run out of the room, stand on the tables, get the parent's attention, lay on the floor, etc. This must be distracting enough to affect understanding/retention, but I am unable to find any research related to primary care.

I have found some information related to parental stress in children with behavioral disorders, so that is not an issue. What I was hoping to find is something on information retention, either for children with ASD or for neurotypical children. Perhaps there is nothing out there . . .

Search Camp 7/20/11

1.) I'm looking for information on the psychological effects experienced by surrogates making decisions in acute/critical care or at the end of life.

2.) We are interested in exploring privacy policies and STI testing. More specifically, we're trying to find information on if someone were to come into primary care for STI testing, test positive, and decide not to tell their spouse. What are the ethical and practical implications for caregivers/providers? Is there any literature out there about this?

Search Camp 4/20/11

1. I am looking for epidemiologic research on epilepsy as it relates to cerebral palsy (in children preferred, but will use adults if not enough data on kids). I have found a few articles, but they are all from 2003 or earlier.

2. I am looking for a few articles on recruitment and retention of patients with stroke for participation in research studies.

Search Camp 11/17/10

I am looking for literature on how high fidelity simulation training creates a safe learning environment that enhances individual and team skills and communication before encountering patients.

Search Camp 8/25/10

1. My topic is best practice for the prevention of delirium in the hospitalized patient. I would like to focus specifically on prevention of delirium in dementia patients, but I'm concerned it's too narrow a focus.

2. Does prenatal micronutrient supplementation for women in low-to middle-income countries improve pregnancy outcomes such as preterm birth and low birth weights?

Search Questions 6/23/10

1. I am looking for papers published in the last 2-3 years related to where/how/why women seek out health information. There's probably not a lot, but I'm revising a paper and would like to add a few new references (maybe 5?) if possible.

2. I'm looking for research on animal-assisted therapy in patients with Alzheimer Disease.

Search questions 3/24/10

1.) I'm trying to research coping in people who are newly diagnosed with cancer, particularly what interventions nurses can do to help in that initial period. I've found a couple of qualitative studies about the experience of being newly diagnosed, but I'm not finding much about what nurses or other healthcare providers can actually DO to help people.

2.) I'm looking for research on breastfeeding in adolescent mothers - attitudes, factors that might affect breastfeeding, basically any research on breastfeeding in this age group. I'm having a hard time getting things that are just about teens.

3.) I am researching the uses of text messaging in healthcare. I think this is a very new area of research and so I think that it why I'm having so much difficulty. Do you have any ideas?

Search Questions 2/24/10

1. I am a graduate student in the psychiatric/mental health Clinical Nurse Specialist program. For an assignment this semester I am to do a literature review on the current psychotropic medications being prescribed to children 5 years of age and under. I'm getting tens of thousands of articles and I can't seem to limit it to the age group I'm looking for. How can I narrow it down?

2. I am looking to research if water births affect newborn infection rates during or shortly after delivery. I have tired searching keywords "water birth," "natural birth," "infant," "infection rates," etc. but I keep coming up with nothing or irrelevant articles. Are there other things I should try, or isn't there any research on this?

Search Question 1/27/10

I am starting my master's research project and need to find articles on waterbirths and neonatal outcomes. More specifically, I am interested in the length of stay for term infants born either in water or land births. I am also looking at the 5 minute apgar scores for term infants born in water vs. land. I am not finding much which does not surprise me, but I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. Could you please help me locate any articles that might apply to this research project?

Search Question 10/28/09

I am trying to find information about methods and/or effectiveness of providing anticipatory guidance (education before an illness occurs) to parents about viral and/or bacterial illnesses during a well-child visit. Some specific things I'd like to teach are when they should bring their child in if they are sick, when antibiotics are appropriate, etc.

Search questions 9/23/09

1. I am teaching a course about research dissemination issues in nursing. I am trying to find 8-10 articles that address issues/controversies about systematic reviews or meta-analyses (related to health sciences if possible) re: their influence on clinicians and possible bias (in articles included, conclusions, etc.). I have one article that is partly about this topic by I Chalmers and B Haynes in BMJ 1994; 309; 862-865. I was looking for more recent articles too.

2. I am trying to write a paper on intra-uterine devices (IUDs). Why do people choose IUD over other forms of birth control? What are the positives and consequences? What kinds of people can use it and what kinds of people can't? I am kind of stuck. I am not sure how to go about searching. When I go in to search I get very specific things and it is confusing me like crazy as I am trying to get my paper started. Please help.

Search question 8/26/09

My topic is education versus isolation of incarcerated inmates and staff with tuberculosis and the role of occupational health nurses to prevent the spread of disease. I am most interested in the occupational health aspects of managing TB.

Search Question 7/22/09

Is weight loss an effective intervention for infertility in obese women with and without polycyctic ovarian syndrome?

Search Questions 5/27/09

1. Does sunscreen inhibit vitamin D production? I’ve heard that people need sunlight to make vitamin D, and you should wear sunscreen when you’re in the sun to protect yourself from skin cancer, but will wearing sunscreen lead to a Vitamin D deficiency?

2. In my experience working in nursing homes, residents get blood glucose tests all the time to help manage their diabetes. That’s a lot of poking, and I’m wondering if there are other ways to approach this problem. What research is there on the different methods nursing homes are using for diabetes management?

Search Question 4/22/09

I need some articles about why healthcare organizations should pursue Magnet status. I want to research the financial benefits as well as the effects it can have on recruiting and retaining good nurses. I tried a search on my own and didn't come up with much, but I am certain there must be good literature out there.

Search Questions 3/25/09

1. I'm looking for research on moderate to high intensity/weight-bearing exercise in people with rheumatoid arthritis - things like running. There's lots on low-impact like water aerobics, but I'm wondering about higher impact things.

2. Is there evidence showing that effective doctor-patient communication improves patient care outcomes?

Keyword strings for age groups

Hello all,

In February's search training I mentioned some keyword strings I use to help narrow down a set when an age limit isn't restrictive enough to get a set down to a manageable number of relevant articles. Remember that you'll need to search these as title/abstract words(.ti,ab. or .tw.), not a a general keyword search (.mp) because that will search the subject headings and defeat the purpose.

As with any keyword search strategy, you'll inevitably miss some things and pick up things that aren't relevant, but these are a pretty good way to narrow down a big set. A good keyword strategy strikes a happy balance between being inclusive and exclusive. It's one tool in your toolkit - as with any search, you should always try a few different approaches and don't blindly rely on just one method.

I pretty much just made up these keyword strings, so feel free to add comments if you think of additions or modifications! :)

As always, let me know if you have questions.
Liz

children:
child$ or pediatric$ or paediatric$ or school$ or young$

adolescents:
adolescen$ or teen$ or young adult$ or school$

geriatric:
elder$ or geriatric$ or aged or old age or older

Search Question 2/25/09

My topic area of interest is to see what data is out there that has looked at adolescent asthma management (medications, environmental control, or self-care) linked to specific patient education models. Essentially I want to figure out if there is a successful (or not successful) way to teach adolescents about their asthma that makes their asthma better controlled. Possibly even looking at research on the effectiveness of primary care education (we have like 2 minutes per patient) with adolescence and asthma management.

Search Questions 11/26/08

1. I am trying to search the evidence-based journals for nursing and medicine to locate information on emergency department overcrowding.

2. For my Nursing Theory and Research class, I want to do research on the Gardasil vaccine - risks/side effects vs benefit.

Search Questions 10/22/08

1. I need to find literature to support a paper on the pros and cons of point of care devices (bedside computers) for my nursing informatics class.

2. Using CINAHL, find articles on school nurses as case managers for children with chronic illness (for example: diabetes, asthma) in schools.

Search Question 9/24/08

Find literature on the role of communication in helping nurses adapt to change, such as frequent changes in documentation, technology, procedures, etc.

Search Questions 8/27/08

1. My research is examining if operating room traffic (people going in and out of the OR during surgery) has an effect on surgical site infection, specifically in orthopedic joint replacement surgeries.

2. I am looking for research about programs involving paid time for exercise in the workplace.

Search questions 7/23/08

1. Does family presence at a resuscitation affect staff stress levels or performance? How do staff feel about the family being present?

2. I am looking for sources addressing the ethics of repeat transplantation, keeping in mind the scarcity of the resource and the less favorable outcomes seen with repeat transplant.

Search Questions 6/25/08

1. What are the barriers that post-menopausal/elderly women encounter in seeking treatment for depression?

2. Does a text-messaging reminder system help adolescents diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in regards to treatment adherence?

Search Camp 8/8/07: Clinical Question

Hello campers,

We'll just be doing one question in Wednesday's session (during the first part of the reference meeting). Here's the case:

A previously healthy 8 year old with a history of wheezing comes in with back pain and a recent cough. A chest x-ray reveals a chest mass.

-Look for resources on differential diagnosis of back pain in a child, or anything else you think might be useful in this case.
-The diagnosis was Ewing's sarcoma. Look for overviews/reviews of Ewing's sarcoma (diagnosis, treatment,
prognosis, etc.). Also, look for some good patient-level information on Ewing's sarcoma that the physicians could share with the family.

Let me know if you have any questions. See you Wednesday at 10:00 in 555!

Liz

Search Camp 7/25/07 - Literature Search Question

Hello campers! Our next Search Camp in next Wednesday, 7/25, at 10:00 in 555. We have a lot of other reference business to cover, so reference training will be for the first 30 minutes of the meeting, and we'll only do one question (a literature search).

Here's the question:
How reliable are PT-INR tests? Specifically ProTime, but any home test for measuring prothrombin time.

Work on the search ahead of time, and be prepared to talk about your strategies. Let me know if you have any questions. See you next Wednesday!

Liz

Search Camp 7/11/07 - Clinical Question

Hello campers,

Our next Search Camp is Wednesday, 7/11 at 10:00 in 555. Search Camp will happen at the beginning of the normal reference meeting, so non-reference staff will be able to leave when Search Camp is done. We have a slightly shorter block of time this week, so we'll just cover one question.

Here's the case:
A 50 year old female presents with pain in her mid back and shortness of breath. The clinician suspects a thoracic aortic aneurysm, and would like some decision support resources. Especially:
1. Diagnosis and treatment algorithms for dissecting thoracic aortic aneurysm.
2. Information on the sensitivity/specificity of widened mediastinum on chest X-ray (CXR) as a diagnostic tool.

See what you can do with this. Remember, with these questions the point is to get to know our clinical resources so you can recommend good resources for an information need. You won't always be answering a specific question, though sometimes you will. The content will quickly be over your head, but that's okay - the clinicians are there to do the interpreting. Our expertise is in getting them to a likely source.

Work on it ahead of time so that you can pipe up with what you found - you MUST be sick of me yacking at you by now, so let's make this your show.

Let me know if you have any questions, and see you Wednesday!

Liz

Reminder - Search Camp 6/27/07

Hello campers! Just a reminder that Search Camp will be taking place tomorrow, Wednesday, 6/27/07, at 10:00 in 555. Try to work on the two questions in advance, and we'll hash through them together.

Here are the links to the literature search question and the clinical question.

Let me know if you have questions. Have fun, and see you tomorrow!

Liz

Search Camp 6/27/07: Clinical Question

An infant presents with vague "spells." These types of resources would be helpful:
-Differential diagnosis (ddx) for "spells" or ALTE (acute life-threatening event) in infants
-Evaluation of an infant with spells/ALTE
-Presentation/ddx for seizures in an infant

Search Camp 6/27/07: Lit Search Question

Find articles on the use of anti-psychotic drugs for the treatment of schizophrenia in children.

Search Camp 6/13/07: Clinical Question

A 14 year old boy presents in clinic with five days of persistent headache. Find clinical tools to help support the physician.

Some hints - useful things include a differential diagnosis (ddx) list, which is a list of possible conditions that could cause persistent headache; guidelines on evaluating and treating headache in adolescents, etc. Try to anticipate the types of questions a clinician might have in this situation. Check out the "Resources for Clinicians" page, and the matrix I put together about our clinical resources (http://www.biomed.lib.umn.edu/help/guides/resourcesforclinicians).

Search Camp 6/13/07: Lit Search Question

Find studies on the use of colloidal silver as an antimicrobial agent.

New Search Blog

Hi all,

Welcome to the new search blog! We'll be posting Search Camp questions here, and once we go over them as a group we'll put suggested strategies in the extended entry area. This way, we can capture the work we do in Search Camp so people can refer back, or if you miss a session you can still fill your head with learning.

We also intend to use this blog as a place to put real search questions we receive, and the strategy the searcher used. The ultimate idea is to create a resource people can use to practice their searching skills, as well as a place to look for sample search topics if you're teaching a class.

I put together the notification list based on who I thought would be interested, so let me or Lisa know if you want to be taken off the list. Otherwise, we welcome your feedback as this blog evolves!

Liz