From the GMR: Special Librarian Job Announcement, Madison, WI
Position Announcement: SPECIAL LIBRARIAN - AQUATIC SCIENCES CENTER
Position Description: Serve as librarian for the University of Wisconsin Aquatic Sciences Center (ASC). The Center administers the Sea Grant Institute (SGI) and the Water Resources Institute (WRI), two statewide federally funded programs, together with other funding activities compatible with the ASC mission.
The ASC Wisconsin’s Water Library is a UW-Madison special purpose library with a particular emphasis on outreach to those who want to learn more about our state’s water resources. A description of past and ongoing library projects can be viewed at http://aqua.wisc.edu/waterlibrary/background.pdf. The services of the Water Library are available to UW-Madison faculty, staff, students and all state residents. The library maintains a strong Web presence with water-related information available to all.
Basic duties and responsibilities are to work with the Assistant Director and staff to:
* Manage and direct the program development, operation and personnel activities of Wisconsin’s Water Library, a collection of almost 30,000 volumes of water-related information, including journals and newsletters, a curriculum collection, children’s collection and dozens of educational videos. This includes supervising one half-time graduate student and occasional student employees and a budget of $12,500 for acquisitions and related supplies.
* Actively participate in developing Center program policy and guidelines as related to the dissemination of water-related information to faculty, staff, students, interested individuals, and organizations at the campus,
state, regional and national levels. Develop library-related sections for annual Water Resources and biennial Sea Grant project proposals and work plans and other required documents. Document and evaluate library services, their impacts and results, through annual and other required reports.
* Develop, provide content for and maintain Wisconsin’s Water Library Web site (www.aqua.wisc.edu/waterlibrary).
* Develop and implement library public outreach projects in partnership with UW-Madison Libraries, schools, departments, institutes and centers, public libraries, environmental organizations and other organizations.
* Represent UW ASC program at regional and statewide meetings. Coordinate, advise, and work with SGI and WRI staff at other state universities on joint projects as well as serve on national committees.
* Work on special library projects as they develop. Such projects may include, but are not limited to, working with ASC scientists, outreach specialists, and staff on outreach/educational events, training programs and project proposals for extramural funding.
Qualifications Required: Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program. Knowledge of the library environment, bibliographic and full-text databases, collection development, cataloging,
information standards and protocols. Excellent written, oral, and editing skills. Excellent problem solving, multi-tasking and organizational skills. Eligibility for a Wisconsin driver license.
Demonstrated ability to: (1) work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment, (2) initiate and complete projects with minimal supervision, and (3) communicate and work effectively with diverse audiences.
Qualifications Preferred: At least two years of special or academic library experience. Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a science-related subject area. Experience providing liaison, reference, and instructional services in an academic setting. Aptitude for evaluating new and emerging media in related subject areas.
Salary and Status: This position is a renewable appointment to the University of Wisconsin-Madison academic staff. Salary is commensurate with professional qualifications and experience. Minimum: $41,000 on a full-time basis.
Percentage of time of Appointment: 50 to 100 percent.
To Apply, Please Submit:
* A letter describing your interest in the position.
* A resume, including post-high school education, and a chronological list of relevant work and volunteer experience.
* Contact information for at least three references we may contact for a recommendation.
Send or E-mail your Application to: Linda Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org), University of Wisconsin Aquatic Sciences Center, 1975 Willow Drive, Madison, WI 53706-1177.
Deadline for Applications: December 11, 2007
Anticipated Start Date: January 14, 2008
Selection Process: A search and screen committee will review all applications and recommend a selection of candidates to the Director of the Aquatic Sciences Center. Those recommended will be invited to Madison for an interview.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.