From the GMR: The 2009 Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Awar
The 2009 Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award
The Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award for Outstanding Service to Rural or Underserved Communities was established in the early 1990s to recognize the contributions to medical education and librarianship by Michael E. DeBakey, M.D. and to honor a practicing health sciences librarian who serves in such a community.
This year’s award is especially important to honor and serve as a reminder of the incredible advances and medical innovations of Dr. DeBakey who passed away in 2008. His great accomplishments have inspired an award to recognize an outstanding individual making history and a lasting impact today.
The recipient of the Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award is publicly recognized at the FNLM Awards Dinner on May 5th, 2009. The Dinner is in memory of FNLM past Chairman, “Mr. Health,” Paul G. Rogers and will celebrate leadership in public health and medicine.
• Nominees must be currently employed as a health sciences librarian and have worked in such a position for at least five years immediately preceding the award.
• The nomination may be made for contributions by the librarian as demonstrated by excellence and achievement in leadership, publications, teaching, research, special projects or any combination of these.
• Nominations must be in writing and contain at least the following elements:
-The official nomination form
-A precise description of the nominee’s achievements
-A current resume or curriculum vitae
-Any additional information that would assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and selection of the recipient.
• Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged.
• The recipient will be notified by April 13th, 2009, and the award will be presented at the FNLM Annual Dinner on May 5th, 2009.
• All nominations must be received by March 30, 2009 at the following address:
Friends of the National Library of Medicine
c/o Julie Fagnani
2801 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
For more information or inquiries regarding the Michael E. DeBakey Library Services Outreach Award, please contact Julie Fagnani at Jfagnani@fnlm.org
Jacqueline Leskovec, MLIS, MA, RN
Outreach and Evaluation Coordinator
National Network of Libraries of Medicine
Greater Midwest Region
1750 W. Polk St. M/C 763
Chicago, IL 60612-433