From the GMR: NLM Associate Fellowship - recruiting for 2012-2013
Please see the following message forwarded from NLM.
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is accepting applications for its Associate Fellowship program, a one-year training program for recent MLS graduates and librarians early in their career.
In the first half of the year, a formal curriculum offers exposure to library operations, research and development, intramural and extramural research, development and lifecycle of NLM's web-based products and services and the extensive outreach and education program reaching consumers, special populations, health professionals and librarians. In the second half of the year, Associate Fellows have the opportunity to choose projects based on real-world problems proposed by library divisions and work with librarians and library staff over a six-seven month period. Successful projects have led to peer-review publications and to services that have become a regular part of library operations.
The September through August program also offers professional development and an introduction to the wider world of health sciences librarianship that may include:
* Supported attendance at national professional conferences, often including the Medical Library Association's annual meeting, the American Medical Informatics Association annual meeting and others
* Additional brown bags, seminars, field trips and learning opportunities available on the National Institutes of Health campus
* Opportunities to meet and interact with senior management at the National Library of Medicine
* Experienced preceptors from National Library of Medicine staff
* Potential to compete for a second year fellowship at a health sciences library in the United States
The Fellowship offers:
* A stipend equivalent to a U.S. Civil Service salary at the GS-9 level ($51,630 in 2011)
* Additional financial support for the purchase of health insurance
* Some relocation funding
Who is eligible?
All U.S. and Canadian citizens who will have earned a MLS or equivalent degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited school by August 2012. Both recent graduates and librarians early in their career are welcome to apply. Priority is given to U.S. citizens.
Applications and additional information are available on the Web at www.nlm.nih.gov/about/training/associate/. Application deadline is February 3, 2012. Between 4 and 7 fellows will be selected for the program.
Feel free to contact Kathel Dunn, Associate Fellowship Program Coordinator at 301-435.4083 or email@example.com.