« From the GMR: GMR Lake Effects webcast 6/21/12 - PubMed: the Changes Continue | Main | From the GMR: NLM Native Voices iPad App »

From the GMR: Stipend for APHA Annual Meeting from Sewell Fund

Please see the following opportunity regarding the APHA Annual Meeting.

(Apologies for cross postings)

Librarians with an interest in public health, make this the year you attend the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Stipends funded by The Grace and Harold Sewell Memorial Fund for this purpose will be awarded to at least 11 librarians in 2012. This year's APHA meeting will take place in San Francisco, CA from October 27 - 31, 2012. Its theme is Prevention and Wellness Across the Life Span.

Applications are now being accepted. The deadline for application is Friday July 27, 2012, 5pm EST. For more information and an application form, go to http://www.phha.mlanet.org/blog/2012/sewell-stipend-2012/

For more information on the 2012 APHA meeting see http://www.apha.org/meetings/highlights/.

For more information on the Sewell Fund, see http://www.sewellfund.org/.

The mission of the Fund is to increase librarians' identification with medical and health care professionals. Stipends have been awarded annually since 2001. Past participants testify to the value of attending APHA:

"Connecting with my fellow library and information professionals and public health colleagues was energizing...The spirit of true collaboration shone through the programs." (Feili Tu)

"Many of the things I learned were not specific, as in tangible facts, more of an understanding of what Public Health is. I learned it covers just about everything...for Public Health you need to be knowledgeable about the issues, the potential impact of legislation, and knowledgeable about the 'agendas' of the interested parties..." (Kristin Kroger)

"Overall the conference really helped me to better understand the scope of public health as well as the latest development in the areas of public health that I am most likely to have to deal with as a librarian....It was an incredible learning experience." (Manju Tanwar)

"The fact that I'm working on a Masters in Public Health was very interesting to her (public health colleague) because she didn't realize that some librarians also have another graduate degree. I think this helped solidify the idea that librarians could be peers to teaching faculty." (Amber Burtis)

"As a result of the meeting I gained a deeper understanding of my patrons' needs" (Peggy Gross)

"I feel like I now have a cohort of people to whom to turn when I have questions about what I am doing as I move into supporting my institution's public health program." (Laure Zeigen)

We look forward to reading your application!

Barb

Barbara Folb, MM, MLS, MPH
Public Health Informationist
University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System
Chair, Client Relations Committee Public Health/ Health Administration Section Medical Library Association folb@pitt.edu