An article published in the 6/8/10 web edition of the Chronicle of Higher Education details how the University of California system is facing a 400% increase in the costs of its journal subscriptions to titles published by the Nature Publishing Group for 2011.
A letter was sent out to all U of CA faculty detailing the impasse with NPG. In this letter faculty have begun to organize a system-wide boycott of NPG which would include:
- suspend all subscriptions to NPG titles (67 in all)
- decline to peer-review manuscripts for NPG titles
- resign from NPG title editorial and advisory boards
- cease to submit papers to NPG titles
- stop advertising to NPG titles
- inform colleagues of NPG business practices
U of CA has boycotted Nature titles in the past and the U of M libraries has done the same, although on a very-temporary basis. We have not yet received our 2011 price quotes for NPG titles.