Helping Students to Become "Information Fluent"

Information literacy is a term that is used a lot these days to describe how to become competent in recognizing when one has an information need and acquiring the skills to know where to go to find that information. I've always kind of disliked that term, so I'll use "information fluency" further in this post.

A core part of my job as a librarian and information professional is to support faculty in teaching information fluency skills to SPH students.

With the new school year underway, I wanted to let all faculty know that I am available to come to a class session and help students gain fluency in using the vast resources available to them from the University Libraries. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like me to come to a class session.

Another option is to share with your students a recording I made this past Monday (9/15/08) to Dr. Call's PubH 6806 class on literature searching and using RefWorks. Here is the link for that recording:

Please feel free to send this to a class email list or post to a WebCT page. Students can watch/listen to this presentation on their own time and it is great to use at the point of need. If you do post this or email it out, please let me know.

Additional links that are also helpful to students is a web page I developed on public health resources, as well as my web page with my contact information. I'm also available to work with students one-on-one.