« Burke and practicality | Main | The particular vs. the universal in P &O-T »

Burke and Hitler

Burke seems really fixated on Nazis. I suppose this is not surprising considering that Nazi ascension was propelled largely by rhetoric. I think (I don't know, he might get to this later or it might have just gone over my head) that he misses an opportunity to illustrate his theory of identification, at least the way that I've interpreted it from the readings and class discussions, by showing how the Nazis were able to take over Germany.

Germany has always been a divided country. Protestants were dominant in north and catholics in the south. Differences in tradition and history have always been present and Germany itself did not actually exist until the second half of the nineteenth century. These divisions were exacerbated by the political splintering that occurred after the first world war. The Germany that Hitler led had to be created.

Hitler did this with identification. He used consubstantiality, the idea of a "race" that all Germans belonged to, as a basis for his regime. This belief allowed the population to be manipulated and was at the root of many of the infamous actions that Germany perpetrated.

-Daniel