Blog # 8&9: Critiques

Finally, I'm attacking this blog down! I don't know what Ozar meant by critiquing? Am I suppose to critique the goals presented in my section or the way how the group presented the goal? But, I guess I'm leaning more towards critiquing the goal. It makes sense that way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Okay critique #1: Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. Out of all presentations in my section, I found this one very sad because the group that presented this goal; they showed pictures of a lady selling mud cookies. I never thought eating mud or dirt was a possible choice to have something like that in the digestive body.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Well...this group presented an organization in Brooklyn Center, MN that helps send food throughout the world. But, I was wondering will this goal be achieve by 2015 set by the UN Millennium Development Goals? Because it takes I believe 6 or 9 months for the food that the organization in Brooklyn Center packaged for the starving people to receive it. I believe that takes quite a long time for starving people to receive food and by that time, many have died of starvation. And this is a question to all goals made by the UN. Is it possible to achieve the 8 Millennium Development Goals by 2015 no matter how much help is out there giving a lending hand? There is about 7 years left to reach these goals that I find it impossible because there are so much people out there in the world that we can get to at such a limit time.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Critique #2: Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability. I think it's goal 7 because this group presented the hardship and the cause of how China is effecting their environment through their work production. One image that stayed in my mind throughout the whole presentation of this goal is the image where farmers are working hard on their crops, but then you have the factory behind them dumping their waste into their crops which causes less crop production for themselves and for the people of China. I find it disturbing how they can destroy crops by just throwing their waste into other people's backyard. I would like to use the film we watched in class, Manufactured Landscape as a reference. The den they've been working on for which will take ten years to complete affects the pollution of China's air. Also, how computer chips and other electronic waste would dumped in front of home without being notified. As one from this group had said, there would be days where people in China would get confused if it's night or day due to gray sky from heavy construction work within the area.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I find it sad and disturbing for people to have dump or waste as their front yard or backyard. Is this what the coming to? A waste land?!

Primary Education

P.E cover

P.E. cover II

P.E, III

Blog #6:Inspiration

A BIG HUGE SIGH!!! This is my third attempt to do this blog because my internet is going stupid on me. But anyways that is not the point. Knowing the fact that not every kid in the world has the same opportunity as me to get educated touch the inner sensitive side of me. I want to take this opportunity as a student in the Design Environment to help promote primary education

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

than stand there watch our future fall to pieces.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do you want this to happen? Well...technically it is already happening especially in Africa and Asia. Are we going wait around until a big commotion happens then we will take serious action?!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I know this is an awkward picture but it relates to primary education. For every pack of playtex is bought, a portion of the money to used to buy pads to give away to girls in Africa. Why? When they have their "Sister Flow" they are not allow to go to school. This leads to less girls being educated.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the one picture that gave me inspiration for primary education. The picture explains itself. Education is a way to discover your talents and who you are and who you will be. It would be nice to give away to kids who are not fortunate enough to receive free education the chance to discover themselves. My one inspiration to show the world why primary education is important to every child.

Blog #5: The Environment

No matter what is built around us, everything affects us no matter what it is. Either its something useful or useless, theres always a way how things are built involve us. It can affect us emotionally, physically, or mentally, etc. If you put a recreation in a "ghetto" area, you'll have kids come and enjoy what they love to do like sports or arts or crafts rather than spending their time in the streets. A place where they could discover their inner talents and what their interets are. The recreation can become an advisor or guidance for them because there will be different kinds of supervisor with different experiences to tell kids how to get out of trouble and how to stay away from trouble.
This same concept goes for anybody and anywhere in the world. For example, if you put a school in Africa for kids to go to then there will be primary education covered part of Africa that does not have a school around yet. Just imagine how much it will change if one building is put into a place where there is no such thing as school. That building can change the upcoming generation of our lives. A change we shouldn't think twice about doing it. Primary education is important all over the world regardless where it is because this change can change us as well in the future.(NOTE: I know it's not the best drawing but I tried.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blog #4:What Would You Do?

Okay...honestly the first thing that popped into my head when I read this blog prompt was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I totally forgot the other half of the blog; that would still have an impact on your environment. I was thinking "artistically". Well, I thought of building a chocolate factory just like the one in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I think it would be so cool to go into a factory and have a drink out of a chocolate river or take a bite out of big, giant gummy bears dangling from a tree. In a way, it does benefit the community because who wouldn't want to go to a chocolate factory and do what the kids do in the movie.(Haha just kidding)Seriously, back to busines. Hmm...What would I do? I really dont know what to do. Well...I do but nothing is popping up in my head. For starters, I would build a bullet train around the big cities like the one in Japan.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For one, it will save gas and end the air pollution our car is making. Also, it will be alot more convieniet for people who can't drive yet, has there license suspended, or those who hate driving like me to get around and beat the traffic we all hate to be in. And of course, the need for speed. Late for work or an appointment?! Have no fear the Bullet Train is here. The Bullet Train travels at 165 MPH so I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem getting anywhere on time unless you're just slow. It would be so awesome to have one especially in the Twin Cities because gas price is going up and probably it will cause less road rage for those who hate driving behind a slow ass car.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So, this is what I would do architecturally, artiscally, bodily, and lyrically that would still have an impact the environment. Yes...you have to think about safety and cost and how much it will benefit us or them...blah blah blah. Who knows? The US thinks too much. There are times you should relax and go with the flow.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Primary Education

Download file

Blog #2

What is a social design issue? You tell me...I do wonder what it is too. Is it a design? Is it something not useful? Or both. I think it's both. In short words, useless design. It made sound harsh but it's true. Some designers do design something that becomes useless to the public or to the world. What do I think is a social design issue? It's pretty hard for me to answer this question since I'm not from Minnesota. But so far, I believe that work space in the student classroom/office building in the St. Paul campus right across from McNeal is a social design issue. I do understand from the designer's perspective view that they are creating an environment for studets to go and study but, it is a big space for a useless purpose. It has a beautiful wall of glass windows right across the room. And then the wall 90 degrees to it has two kiosk which it makes it look like a slum house becuase it's out of no where. Then, it has a little microwave section which I think is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a building. Also, it has two enormous triangle shape storage out of the blues. It's big enough to put a whole clothing store in it. My professor, Pat Hemmis did state it was "useless". After visiting the site, I do agree with my professor. I think it will a great idea to convert that space into something more "lively and energetic" to get more students to come to St.Paul campus since everyone goes to the east bank. If I had the power to change it, I would remove everything in it and make it more comfortable. It has nothing but cold and darkness with the dark brick walls and wooden tables and chairs. I would add comfortable leather seats to cozy up the place because it can become a place for students to come and relax. Also, add a cafe just in case students do get tired of studying or get hungry during a break. I would replace one of the brick walls with a chalkboard wall to help promote a club's campaign or an event. That is just half of the day and now for the night session design...a little booster stage would be added to have performance to enjoy on a Friday night or something like that. It's a place where people can come have open mic nights and have poetry reading. And a flat screen TV for sports night and comfort to the day shift by playing the news all day in a low volume since it is with classrooms and office around it. (Sorry I couldn't find any pictures)

This idea of energy, flow, and transformation throught the city.

After watching Andy Goldsworthy's movie, Rivers and Tides, I believe the city is the way it is through it's surroundings. For example, Andy thought the way how the landscape of his backyard is created was through the way of the sheep's living. The landscape consistded of steep hills for roaming and grassy patches for vegitation. The city's surroundings create that energy, flow, and transformation into the city's vibe.