Elves of Cyberspace | Main | In Which an Innocent Garden Snake is Slain

My Little Minion

After all the blogging I have seen lately about making your own dressmaker's dummy, I figured that I would give it a whirl. Real dressforms are lovely, but oh so costly and they don't really look like curvy Ms. Villain. So, I procured a roll of black duct tape and one of J's old tshirts and we went to work. It was really hot that day, so my timing wasn't exactly the best, but when I want to do something, I am difficult to dissuade. As my mother used to say, "You just want what you want and that's all that you want." Well, exactly! J was very good at figuring out the best way to wrap and it was actually kind of fun. Though I am not sure that I can say that without sounding rather fetishistic. (I had a pic of me wrapped before cutting it off, but it looked a little too creepy to post.) I am not entirely sure how useful it will actually be, since it has to hang on a hanger and sometimes the stuffing falls out, but does look an awful lot like me and it is interesting and disorienting to see the dress on it before on me. So, since every good villain needs minions, here is mine, in my newest dress:

matchyminion.jpg

This is the dress that I am making to match my mom (she hasn't started her's yet... get a move on!!).

matchyjaunty.jpg

It is a vintage wrap pattern from Ebayland. No zipper! Yay!
matchyback.jpg

wrap.JPG

I am embarassed to admit that this is the first dress I have ever used a blind hem on. Usually I just sort of whip it around in a straight stitch. I like the look and it holds well... but there is that whole "trying to look professional" thing that I should be working on, so voila! Not the best blind hem in the world, but it is a start. Now I can finally hem those pants that J has had for how many years now? Sheesh.

Also, I dyed my hair. What? You can't tell? Don't worry, me neither. I thought it was supposed to lighten a couple of shades, but it looks like I am still meant to be a dark-brunette for a while...

microrant:
1. American Apparel tshirts are cute, but their customer service is the WORST!
2. Why can't companies (Apple I am looking at YOU) just give you the money off instead of making you mail/fax "rebates" in a bazillion times just so you can actually pay your September rent?!?!?!

ahem.

Posted by loyd0008 at August 8, 2006 11:23 AM

That dress is cute! I'm making a similar but modern Butterick pattern as we speak. Well, similar with the circle skirt and fitted bodice, but not a wrap.

I love your fabric, but that color would make me look dead.

Posted by: Alissa at August 8, 2006 1:27 PM

The dress looks great! I love the fabric. Do you know who makes it?

Posted by: Laina at August 8, 2006 10:42 PM

Gorgeous dress and it fits you so well!I love it. I have a scrap of that Amy Butler fabric that I'm hoping to squeeze a bag out of!

Posted by: Helen at August 9, 2006 3:47 AM

Absolutely gorgeous. As is your hair. ;-) Is there not a lot of flappage and thus legshowage in that dress though?

Posted by: bani at August 9, 2006 9:11 AM

The fabric is Amy Butler from when she was designing for Free Spirit. The pattern is called Parrot Tulip and the colorway is Minty. She's moved over to Rowan now, so it has been discontintued. Crafty Planet still has some, I believe.

I, too, am trying to weasel a bag for my mom out of the scraps. We'll see how far I get...

As for leg showage, it actually overlaps a whole lot, so no excess so far!

Posted by: villain extraordinaire at August 9, 2006 9:34 AM

I am so in love with that pattern!!! I love the way the dress turned out. The fabric is perfect for it. Do you mind revealing the pattern number? I would love to add it to my ebay watch list. I love the idea of no zipper!

Posted by: Becky at August 11, 2006 10:22 AM

I love your patterns and style! Great work!

Posted by: che l at August 11, 2006 9:12 PM

hi there
Love the dress, I really like using vintage patterns too.

Posted by: kathreen at August 15, 2006 8:08 PM

Thanks for all the sweet comments! I was going to post the pattern # before I left for The Long Sad Trip of Doom (post on that soon), but I forgot! So sorry... I'll get it when I get back home.

Posted by: villain at August 18, 2006 10:33 PM

So, I've been wanting to try this technique as well. Can you tell me - how tight did you wrap the tape around your body? Because this is my fear: I wrap it really tight to get a good fit, then I'm stuck in it!!! or when I go to have some trustworthy friend cut it off, they pierce me with the scissors!!! Irrational? maybe.

Posted by: Librarian on Fire at August 23, 2006 3:19 PM

It gots ta be tight! If not, you will end up with a minion that is too big. Also, you are skinny, so you want to make sure it is skinny, too!. Also also, it would have been *very* difficult to do by one's self. The snipping off was a bit tense, but if they go very very slowly it works out ok. Try using blunt ended scissors, too...

Posted by: villain at August 23, 2006 10:16 PM

Fabulous dress. The fit is perfect. Any chance you could post the pattern number? I'd love to try to find it.

Posted by: Kristin at November 10, 2006 12:15 PM