My Little Minion | Main | Rollercoaster Vacation of Woe

In Which an Innocent Garden Snake is Slain

I am in Virginia! Currently posting on my laptop in the bedroom whilst J kindly fetches me refreshment. Things are mostly quiet here and involve lots of shopping. This time, it has been for fabric. I found some really great deals on everything from $2.50 jacket material to $1.75 calico and notions in between. And even better, mom has been footing the bill. Score!

Before I left, I finished a cute little 3/4 sleeve shirt in red-on-blue paisley and today I almost finished another, this time in a sweet little Asian print that J picked out (it has butterflies on it?!). All that is left are buttonholes and buttons. My mom has this amazing Bernina that does everything automatically, but we have to get through the superintelligent computer robot with laser eyes in order to do it, so we'll see how far we make it.

I think that I have abandoned Picovoli for now. The size 5 needles were just not working out for me. I am working on a halter top in Soysilk that is SO much faster. Yay for size 8s!! I have actually had to restart it already to make it a bit smaller (to both increase tightness and make sure I have enough yarn to finish the thing!) and, even so, it is still more satisfying than the Fuzzy Nightmare that was Picovoli. I will finish it sometime, just not any time soon.

The trip has been pretty good so far: uneventful driving, lots of treats, good food, except for one little incident involving a snake. My mom is deathly afraid of the wee beasties (though the same day she killed a black widow in the house without batting an eye, go figure!). A Little Slitherer came up through the bathtub drain in the basement and J was called in to slay the creature. *I* was under the impression that we were going to rescue it and turn it loose outdoors, but apparently the implication was that we should kill it. So J presses down a little too hard with the hoe that was supporting it and it starts to bleed. Naturally, I freak out and start to cry. "How could you be so careless??!" "You KILLED him!" I scoop the Little Wriggler onto a paper bag and take him outside where he, appropriately, wriggles away. I am crying rather profusely now and the remainder of the day is filled with accusations that my J is a cruel and vicious Snake Slayer, since I was positive that he actually had a broken back and would be snatched up by the first predator to come along. Who knew that the harming of a little snake could cause me so much distress? I might not be singing this tune if Li'l Scaley had come up whilst I was taking a bath, but as it stood, I wept bitter tears over his wounding. I hope you sleep safely tonight, my Snake-friend!

Posted by loyd0008 at August 18, 2006 10:49 PM

But wait....A Black Widow spider in the house? A Black Widow spider. I really don't mind spiders (English spiders, at least) but that is too much. I thought they lived in the jungle or something.

I too would be upset about the snake. I had a boyfriend who used to stamp on spiders (not suggesting J is that type). This man was evil. But the snake was surely okay if he wriggled off. I just this morning took ages retrieving a moth from my kitchen sink, all bedraggled and only just alive-(and I was desperate for a coffee). And the bees and butterfiles that fall into our paddling pool. It's a full-time job.

Anyway, have a great time with all that free fabric!

Posted by: alice at August 19, 2006 1:55 AM

I'm with you. I don't kill snakes or spiders. They are very useful as they eat vermin and bugs. There are very few varieties of either creature that could actually cause harm that one learns how to recoginize or avoid them. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them crawling on me, most spider bites itch terribly and do not go away for a long time. Brown Recluse spiders live here in the South and are a problem, but they prefer dark, hidden places usually, so if I see a spider in a sink or wandering across the floor, I will catch it in a glass and release it outside.

Posted by: patsijean at August 19, 2006 10:52 AM

OMG! OMG! I am never EVER going to the south. The snake came up threw the drain! That's pretty much my worst nightmare! In fact, I'll probably have nightmares about that tonight...

Posted by: Taryn at August 20, 2006 10:49 PM

Well, it was in the basement. There's really just my dad's workshop and mom's sewing room down there, so it wasn't in a tub that is ever used...

That is so SNAKES IN A DRAIN!

Posted by: villain at August 24, 2006 8:20 PM