September 2007 | Main | November 2007

Less QQ

More PEW PEW!!*

So enough of my complaining. Here are some pix!

The top is a bit boxy, but I like it. Two older people (60s or so) told me they liked my socks:)

gatsby1.jpg

Check out the square forehead. Oh yeah.

gatsby2.jpg

Handspun cabley goodness:

cabley.jpg

In other news, I covered my atrociously dirtily discolored ironing board with some cotton. It is not as slippery as the old one and fabric sticks a bit, but that can be a good thing, too. On the end are the 7 "draft dodgers" or whatever they are called that you put in front of windows and doors. We have 6 very very large very drafty windows (and only one door) that will soon be muffled by these rice-filled thingies. I'm gonna have to buy a ton of rice....

newboard.jpg

I also (finally) shortened the sleeves of my old peacoat so that they are not embarrassingly long anymore. Too bad the lining needs to be replaced now! I'd rather make a sassy cropped number in red than do anything about that one, though.

I think I have narrowed down the options for the next shirt and will cut it out tonight. Be nice to have something before the rents get here tomorrow... We'll see!

*a term used on videogame forums to tell someone to quit crying and start taking some action (laser noises)

Posted by loyd0008 at 1:39 PM

Lost: Sewing Mojo

Current Dissertation Page Count: 50/250

That is like a real percentage! It's not a very high percentage, but not bad! This chapter is due at the beginning of February, but I will have a draft by the end of November if it kills me.

Finished a shirt last night in a small black and white checky-plaid fabric that is a little boxy but looks great with this silk sash I have. I went to shoot it today and, big surprise, batteries are dead. I think I would sew anything they have that platinum blonde model. She is just so cool! I made the short sleeved version sans bottom ruffle and I would make this pattern again, probably adding a couple of waist darts and making it a bit longer (leaving off the ruffle cut it a little). I really like the neck and it went together super easily. The fabric was quite ravelly, though. I'd make the next in cotton :)

Well, I talk of next and there is where my problem lies. Time was, I would finish a dress and already have 3 more lined up, maybe even cut out. I must be losing my sewing mojo, because I really don't know what I want to make now! I'd like more shirts, but most of the patterns I have aren't wowing me and there are no pattern shops in my vicinity. So sad. Also, I really need to find some more fashiony fabrics that have some drape to them. As much as I hate to admit it, you can't make an entire wardrobe with quilting fabric. Or can you?! Maybe... Do I sound like a broken record yet? okok

J has found a new game to play and so I've been doing some knitting. I am theeeeeeees close to finishing a cute little charcoal sweater. Just the sleeve ribbing, really. I need to get on that; it will be good for layering which is something I need to get really good at FAST. My old apartment was heated by the company and I didn't pay for it. It was always super super super hot. Like, 30 below outside and I'm in a camisole and boxers. It is still lovely outside and in the 50s, but somehow in the apt has gotten cold! I'll need to get a space heater since my desk is right by the drafty ol' window. Also, make some of those bean-filled things. I will also wear the black and cream capelet that I'm making out of my handspun. I did a few inches but decided it needed more umph so I frogged and put in some cables. Looks pretty good so far, and very practical!

I have to share the lovely things I just bought from Cricketpress. This print and these coasters. Dresses! Yay! I have my eye on this Decemberists poster from a concert on my birthday and a great Rollergirls poster Soon, my pretties, soon...

Can you believe that tomorrow is Halloween?! I think that maybe J and I will go to dinner in costume (if I can bribe him into the pirate shirt I made for him...) I'll just wear the dress I wore last year. Less authentic with the short hair, but I can make it crazy-like so it should look good anyhow.

Also, my folks are coming on the 1st! So fun!

Pix tomorrow, but now it's time for fun things like vacuuming and laundry. See you...

Posted by loyd0008 at 12:14 PM

I Am Deep Pink.

you are deeppink
#FF1493

Your dominant hues are red and magenta. You love doing your own thing and going on your own adventures, but there are close friends you know you just can't leave behind. You can influence others on days when you're patient, but most times you just want to go out, have fun, and do your own thing.

Your saturation level is high - you get into life and have a strong personality. Everyone you meet will either love you or hate you - either way, your goal is to get them to change the world with you. You are very hard working and don't have much patience for people without your initiative.

Your outlook on life is very bright. You are sunny and optimistic about life and others find it very encouraging, but remember to tone it down if you sense irritation.
the spacefem.com html color quiz

Posted by loyd0008 at 10:04 AM

Dancing Machine Out of Order

Often, when J takes my picture, he tries to get me to laugh. That is all well and good, but usually he takes *forever* to snap it and I have to try to extend the laugh as long as I can. That is why I usually opt for the "looking seriously to the side" pose. Here is the outcome of today's adventure:

asdancing.jpg

aslaughing.jpg

I cut out this shirt and started to sew it last night. I realized, before it really went together, that it was going to end up looking like scrubs. I mean waaaaay like scrubs. Let's just say that is a fashion choice that I want to avoid, even if previous experiments have turned out pretty scrubby...(cough third shirt cough)

I decided to try my hand at a little on-the-fly alteration and while it is still a little lumpy (and please don't look under the arms), it is FAR better than it looked before. I mean, really, what was I thinking? Well, I guess I was thinking that a breezy pullover top would be good wearin' round the apt and it will be, but not in its original form. Ok, ok so I have enough "breezy" (which might translate to sloppy?!) clothes and need to rev up the ol' wardrobe with some real gems. I think I should try some Hot Patterns, though they intimidate the hell out of me. I have been doing this for a while now, but I feel like I'm nowhere near good enough to take one of those on. I'm going to make this collared shirt and ponder it...

Anyone have any tried and true shirts that they recommend?

Posted by loyd0008 at 1:18 PM

Pizza Time!

Current page count: 42

Time to celebrate with some pizza!

...yes it's the place we go twice a week. Hush, you.

Posted by loyd0008 at 3:47 PM

A 10 Page Week

This week I have to write 10 pages. Not really so much, but I've got to keep to a regular schedule. If I write 5 a week, I'll finish on time, but you never know when you might need a little leeway there at the end. I've done 4 so far, so only 6 to go

Current Page Count:
this week: 4
this chapter: 32
chapter goal: 70

Sigh.

Oh well. Here's J in my new scarf. It sits nicely under a jacket.

anthroj.jpg

Posted by loyd0008 at 10:31 AM

Anthro Scarf

I made this little something in a day from a couple skeins of handspun that I spun a million years ago and never really knew what to do with. It is short and has a button/hole to hold it together. It makes a nice, high collar and the scallops show through well. I wish the button had come out in the picture, It's not vintage or anything super-snazzy, but it has a nice look and adds a little shine. You can almost make it out on the left side in the middle...

I think that I am going to make black and cream my winter knitting theme and only knit things in those colors. The scarf is a touch scratchy, though this might just be because I'm not used to wearing neckish things and have to acclimate myself to scarves again. I crocheted the scalloped border and snowflake/flower but I'll be damned if I can make that flower again! I had planned for three, but alas, one it will remain. I have to finish the gray cabled sweater before I can buy yarn, but I'm going to load up to make a black/cream striped ripple blanket for the couch.

anthroscarf.jpg

J said he would model it for me when he gets home. I'd do it myself, but I am a scruffy-looking nerf herder today. I'm going to do my roots and can't wash my hair until then...

Also, I love our farmer's market! I had the best almond croissant for late breakfast/early lunch today. I am very excited that it will be going on for another month. Yum! Much better than Haymarket, though not as dirt cheap. I'll still rely on Haymarket for mangoes and bananas. These were three for a dollar at the market today!

marketflowers.jpg

Posted by loyd0008 at 12:08 PM

Let me explain...

J's folks got me a sweet, tiny camcorder for my birthday. A big thank you to them!! It is purse-sized... ready to whip out at a moment's notice to shoot something utterly pointless, as all people do with their camcorders. That's the joy of them, really. It is spectacularly good news for YouTube that we don't have cats. We would flood them. So I think that J looks like David Tennant, the 10th Doctor...

Ok, so I'm random. As if this is news to you!

Posted by loyd0008 at 6:32 PM

The Doctor

Posted by loyd0008 at 12:45 PM

Short Stuff

I know I was vague about my feelings toward the new cut...

bob1.jpg

bob2.jpg

...but I love it! It's a little Louise Brooks, a little Anna Karina, a little man-I-shouldn't-have-cut-my-bangs-during-PMS. I am excited about all the things I'll be able to do with it. It still feels a little like a dream, like it didn't really happen, but I do not regret my decision. I think it has a lot of potential. Additionally, my skin is really improving! Apparently most of my woes are due to hormone fluctuation and so I got a pill that has the same stuff as in my Yasmin as well as Tazorac and some Benzaclin. That Tazorac is great! I've used Retin-a, Differin, and a host of OTC stuff, and Tazorac is by far the best. My skin texture is sooo much better. I highly recommend it if you are in the market for an acne fix or a skin evener. I didn't even have to Photoshop myself! Amazing!

Craftwise, I cut out a new shirt yesterday, but mostly I've been knitting. Maybe this top will be finished this year...

cables.jpg

I've been watching J play Arcanum and knitting flowers for my new Whimsey scarf.

whimsies.jpg

Today is supposed to be a writing day, so I'd better snap to it!!

Posted by loyd0008 at 11:05 AM

It Is Done.

hair.jpg

Yes, that is 18 inches.

Posted by loyd0008 at 7:06 PM

Rusty

Hello and thanks for the birthday wishes!! It's nice to have a long weekend to celebrate which basically means drink a lot of tea and watch Lost? Well ahem also sewing!! I feel rusty already... I made this shirt (Butterick 4802) last night and it came out pretty well, but I feel like I should have been able to do it in my sleep and that was certainly not the case.
Also, the new boots!!

leopard.jpg

In other news, I ended up painting over that terrible feather experiment. It ended up being an abstract pallet knife job and I am really pleased with the results. It is very large (about 20 x 48) and looks nice on the wall. I like how the hues blend and squish (technical art term) into one another. Can you tell I was an art historian once? Heh, me neither. You'd think my aesthetic sensibilities would be more... sensitive. I mean, this was totally done in the 50's...

painting.jpg

I made this yesterday to go above the bed since we really can't afford any of the ones we want. It is about 16 x 40 and should do (at least until we find something fancier!)

seascape.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of cutting my hair SHORT SHORT. Thoughts???

Posted by loyd0008 at 4:04 PM

Happy Birthday to Me!

That's right folks, Villain hits the big 2-9 today at approximately 1pm.

I already got lovely presents: coat (in beige) courtesy of the rents and boots (in black) from J... I will be stylish this year if it kills me! Also, I had a great birthday dinner last night involving copious amounts of Pinot Grigio, my current favorite wine. I wore the boots and they are pretty much the most comfortable boots I have ever had in my life. I had a rough time looking last year because all the lace-ups were just fake and zipped on. These zip too, but the laces are real, giving me enough space for my monstrous calves.

Today will involve mostly painting, a trip to the Boston Harbor Islands, and HOPEFULLY sewing. I keep seeing cute clothes in boutique windows and getting fired up and then losing steam once I'm home. I think I will drink lots of tea and run around like a madwoman. It is my birthday after all!!!!! Also, cupcakes.

Posted by loyd0008 at 9:44 AM

Quick and Dirty

During PMS I always seem to want to embark on projects for which I haven't exactly got the patience. Sometimes it works out fine. This time, I managed to finish the wall shelves (with J's help!), make some napkins, start a painting, and do a quick and dirty dust ruffle.

J is not known around town for his handy-man skillz, but he met this challenge with gusto and handled my drill with aplomb. We ran into a snag when we seemed to hit an I-beam or something, but finally managed to get enough holes up there for my lovely Anthropologie brackets. Now there are just those extra holes to fill in...

wall.jpg

bracket.jpg

Here are the napkins that I whipped up. At first, I was going to use a binding method, but I didn't like how that one turned out, so I just hemmed and mitred the corners.

napkins.jpg

Could I have picked a busier background? We are trying to be more green around these parts. It has really shocked me how wasteful things are in the city. We don't even have recycling! Using cloth napkins and reusable grocery bags won't change the world but it'll help a little. Also, there's not a charity donation site near us. I have bags and bags of clothes and such to give away and nowhere to give it that isn't a hike and a half. Sigh. Guess it will be cluttering up the dining room for a bit.

Figuring that we won't be able to afford any really big art to go in this spot between the windows, I got a canvas and some (water mixable.. I'm a cheater!) oil paints and set to work on this. They're supposed to be peacock feathers and sadly they don't (yet... heh) look as good as the real thing. Guess I'll just keep working on them!

feather.jpg

Quick and Dirty:
This is a nice fix if you have a headboard and footboard but still need something to cover the sides of the bed. I took a twin fitted sheet and cut it (raggedly.. oops) in half and then cut off the stretchy stuff. I used an Ikea Villa sheet and it was just the right size even though our bed is a little higher than normal. Then, you basically just have to hem it up and put it on the box spring hanging down over the edge. Our bed is against a wall, so I only had to make one side, but the other half of the sheet would work perfectly!

ruffle.jpg

Ours will work ok, but if I hadn't sort of hacked it out at midnight last night, it would be straighter and whatnot. Also, I chopped a bit too much off of one side, but hell, it's a dust ruffle. It's for hiding all the junk under the bed. Who's gonna notice?

We were going to go to the Boston Harbor Islands today, but It has gotten a bit late for that so maybe just a trip to the Farmer's Market and some tennis before my dermatologist's appt. God I can't wait for that. My skin has been WRETCHED lately. I've tried pretty much everything, too. Differin and Klaron right now and a host of things in the past. My skin wasn't even this bad during puberty. Ever since my pillz started acting up, it's been whacked. Just whacked. Wish me luck.

Also, do all of my photos look washed out? I've been so impatient with those, too...

Posted by loyd0008 at 11:00 AM