April 2008 | Main | June 2008

Spammage

Ok. I finally got around to tweaking a couple of settings, so the comments issue should be cleared up. Let's hope.

My folks were in town for the reception tasting, so we spent the weekend with them, mostly eating tons and tons of food. You'd think that I'd never want to eat again after all of it, but no. I am always hungry. Like right now.

As far as sewing goes, I cut out a couple of voile/lawn coverups in the Built By Wendy shirt pattern that I have used a billion times. Should be quick to sew up once I procure some elastic. I need to tack down the lining and get a zipper for a champagne silk dress I made a while ago, too. Looks like I'll have to trek down to the dreaded button store. After it stops raining though.

Before the rents came I got a few dozen roses from Fresh Roses in CA. They came in packed with ice and needed a couple of days to open. When they did they were lovely! I plan to use this company for the wedding and shower roses. I was quite pleased with the product, customer service, and price! Thanks, Fresh Roses!

I have been mostly reading fiction, but did get a little (emphasis on the little) work done today on the next chapter (which I want to finish before the wedding). I told myself that I have to write five more pages before the 5th of June.

Well I can't think of anything else that has happened recently besides chowing down and procrastinating, but if something comes up, I will be sure to let you know. Ok, off to find some chips!

Posted by loyd0008 at 4:32 PM

ARGH

The junk filter has been eating comments! Even mine! Blargh. I just went back and tried to save as many as I could find; my apologies if I missed yours. I was not censoring you, I promise!

(update: still eating my comments... I will investigate further and hopefully fix it. wish me luck.)

Posted by loyd0008 at 11:19 AM

E-session

On Friday, we had our e-session (at least that's what all the wedding blogs call the engagement photo shoot!) with the lovely and talented Ashley O'Dell. We found great little nooks in South Boston in which to play. Here are some highlights:

session1.jpg

session2.jpg

session3.jpg

session4.jpg

session5.jpg

J's brother chided us for not even looking at one another. We were going for a sort of tough "us against the world" look that avoided the vacant stares of zombie-like disorientation that seem to afflict some brides in their engagement shots. I think you might be drooling there, gal. Is that love or a morphine drip? No thanks!

Posted by loyd0008 at 8:58 PM

The Zipper has LANDED!

Alrighty folks, we have a zipper. Also, stay tuned for a Very Special Villain Dress Giveaway!

I have some good news and some bad news.

Good: I put zippers in several dresses that were languishing about the apartment: the orange silk from a while ago, the golden too-short wearable muslin (will add ruffle later), and the blue short snort as well as both red wedding dresses.

Bad: Two of those dresses are now too small for my ample bosoms, even though it seemed as though they would work before.

Extra Bad: One is the sexy Vogue dress that I made first. So sad. I will keep it around in hopes that I can add some panels to it one day. J requested specifically that I do another one of this dress. Next time, I'll make the next bodice size up.

Bad: I could not managed to shoehorn the girls into the cute blue strapless number either. Shucks. What went wrong? Maybe because I went down a size from the version I made last year. Not quite ready for that!

Good: I am going to give that dress away to some (always deserving) reader! It is pretty petite, though there is plenty of room in the waist and hips. So, if you or someone you know would like a fully finished Villain creation, just email me and we will see what happens! principia (at) gmail dot com is the current address. I considered doing a "Cinderella Project" donation, but I'd like to see if anyone in the blogosphere wants it first. It's cute! And free!

Good: I got a nice invisible zipper in the strapless dress and it looks pretty great! I'm not sure if I am totally in love with this bra, though. I think I'd like something a teensy bit less padded. The shape is great, but it just feels a touch too much, you know? It looks like the strapless is going to be the one. It is too bad about the other dress, but the zipper pulled something fierce. It was a good zipper, though, if I do say so myself. I have debated whether or not the strapless looks too bridesmaidy, but I think it doesn't. If, when I post a pic, you think it does, I would appreciate it if you didn't tell me. You don't want to break my heart, now, do you?

Bad: I ate greasy Chinese food AND pizza today. I am going to fitness hell. Tomorrow J and I are going running. Really! I posted it, so I have to stick to it now!!

Goodish? Badish? Oopish?: I mentioned last time that I accidentally bought a ring on eBay. (I really truly thought that someone would outbid me!! It was a foolish thing to do and I have no excuse!!) It came today. Did I mention it is a diamond ring and just loverly? I have major reservations about diamond engagement rings (feminist and economic). I also like sparkly things. Every time I stare into its Asscher cut beauty, I will force myself to contemplate the political ramifications of my rash, rash act. My rash but awfully perty act. We hadn't exactly budgeted for such a thing at this time, but. it should work out fine, though :D Naughty Villain!

Posted by loyd0008 at 8:15 PM

Small Favors

Hi y'all! Thanks so much for the fellowship love. I can't even tell you what a difference getting that $ makes. (Especially since J's *entire* paycheck goes to rent every month, but I digress...)

I got my new schmancy bra in the mail the other day. It is Le Mystere (apparently Oprah's favorite brand, but whatever). I feel a bit like I'm wearing a breastplate, but the girls aren't going to be moving around, that is for damned sure! This means that Journey to Zipperville may commence. Zounds! I move forward with some trepidation. If it were a center application, I think I could rock it, but I haven't put in an invisible zipper in ages. I guess that center application just isn't appropriate? Or what?

What I have been working on in the mean time: favors! I still have to put the pinbacks on these, but all the flowers are made. How do you like The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend presiding over them? They are our cake toppers!!

favors1.jpg

These are the tissue holders I made for the shower my mom is throwing. Not sure if that many people will actually show up, but a gal can never have too many tissues, right? Especially during allergy season. I had some trouble with allergies after moving to Minnesota and they are in full effect here, too. I never really had them growing up, but it looks like my allergy luck has run out. If I don't take my Claritin in the morning, I am done for.

favors2.jpg

In other news, I have been doing tooth whitening trays. Oh My God. NEVER LEAVE THEM IN MORE THAN 30 MINS. I was up all night once because the pain was unbearable. Even after a multitude of ibuprofen. Teeth are looking a little brighter, but I'm sure I'll dull them up again with all the tea I drink. Can't give up that tea, though!

Ok, all for now. Hopefully I'll be able to send some postcards from Zipperville soon! Wish me luck!

Posted by loyd0008 at 10:28 AM

WooHOO!!!!

I was just informed that I got a fellowship for next year!!! Even bigger than this year's.
:D:D:D:D

This makes my life better in so many ways, especially since I might have just accidentally bought a ring on eBay...

Posted by loyd0008 at 6:36 PM