April 2009 | Main | June 2009

Out of the Wilderness

So we were in Montana this weekend for a wedding. It was pretty and the people were very sweet, but I think we might have done pretty much all there is to do (aside from outdoor sportz) and seen all there is to see in Montana. I am a city girl. What can I say? There were a few cute spots, such as the Dragon Hollow Play Area/A Carousel for Missoula:

dragginholler.jpg

Possibly the world's creepiest mannequin:
mannequin.jpg

On to the wedding: here I am, Bridesvillain in action! I was pleased with how the dress came out. I will definitely be wearing it again. I was also very excited that I was listed in the program as the Bridesvillain. For real. What is cooler than that?
bridesvillain.jpg

With J:
bridesvillain2.jpg

I even got to sew! The hook at the top of Taryn's dress and a button fell off. Just give me a needle and thread and all will be well.
bridesvillainsews.jpg

When we got home, we found a nice surprise: the quilt was back from being long-armed! I really love how it came out. It coordinates well with the one that my mom made for me, though hers is much much more advanced and well-made. I can see how people get bitten by the quilting bug. I was ready to start another one as soon as I saw the finished product. J reminded me that we don't exactly need another blanket and that we are moving in a few months. Drat.
quilty.jpg

Posted by loyd0008 at 1:35 PM

Just a List, No Pix

I haven't taken shots of anything lately, though I have made a few items. I did another knit dress, this time in black modal/spandex. It is the same basic pattern that I've been using, though I deleted the waist seam on this one too. J and I are going to a friend's wedding this weekend and I am going to wear it on the plane. Yay for stretch! Maybe I'll get a pic of it then.

Additionally, I made my bridesmaid (bridesvillain!) dress: Vogue 8468 in black silk dupioni with 3/4 sleeves (no bell, though) and French seams. It is a super easy dress and went together well. I was going to make a retro halter, but thought it would be too "bridesmaidy." This one is not exactly avant garde, but will be a touch less wedding-cliche. I made us apple green sashes to tie the black dresses together. I finished the sashes and silk table runners last week and sent them off. They will be nice pops of color (green apple, canterbury blue, and carribean blue.)

I made a tote bag for a friends birthday in aqua/neutral dot upholstery fabric and also sent the quilt out to be machine-quilted. I have a couple of dresses to finish up, including a sexy silk number that only requires a zipper and a sheath dress in leopard print that is cut. I really want to buy more modal, but when your rent is $1700 and you don't get paid over the summer, things get a bit tight.

Moving back to Minnesota (I did mention that, right?) will have its downsides (um, weather, needing a car to get around) but it is soooo much cheaper to live there! Also, I'll be able to visit my beloved Crafty Planet once again. We really want to Boston it up the last few months we are here, doing all the Bostony stuff we have wanted, but haven't gotten around to. I am looking forward to the Harbor Islands the most, followed by the Aquarium. Yay for fishes!

Posted by loyd0008 at 2:26 PM