.XXX Domain

A couple of weeks ago, I took a survey from the SJMC research website called "University Brand Perception, the .XXX Domain, and Pornography.

This was an interesting survey because I was not even aware of the issue going into it. Apparently, .XXX domains will be available within the next year, so big companies and schools are purchasing potential .xxx domains that would be associated with their image. For example, the U would buy domains that include maroon and gold, goldy, ski-u-mah, etc.
Schools are already beginning to do this, so the survey asked about my opinion on the impact of .XXX domains and what the U should do about it.

The survey was set up with almost all multiple choice questions which was nice because I did not have enough information or opinion on the matter to fill out open-ended questions. This was the first time I had heard about the issue, so I appreciated having options. The questions asked if an .XXX domain would change my opinion on a brand or school, if I would decide against going to the U if there was an .XXX domain associated with it, and also my opinion and use of .XXX domains and pornography sites.

This was quite a controversial survey, so I think it was a good choice by the researcher to make it available online. This allows for people to have more privacy and it makes them more willing to share sensitive information.