Man is shot by police after stabbing police K-9

A St. Paul man died by police gunfire Tuesday after the stabbing a police dog to death, news sources reported.

Alden Patrick Anderson died after St. Paul Police were trying to arrest Anderson on charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, Pioneer Press reported.

When St. Paul police entered a home on the 700 block of Aurora Street to arrest Anderson he grabbed police K-9 Kody and stabbed him to death, 5 Eyewitness News reported.

Anderson was charged with sexual conduct with a fourteen-year-old girl that became pregnant in March 2006, Pioneer Press reported.

Mayor Chris Coleman spoke Tuesday regarding police K-9 Kody's death, "My heart goes out to Officer Longbehn and his family as they cope with the loss of Kody. Kody was Officer Longbehn's eyes and ears on the front line and served Dave, the Saint Paul Police Department, and our city with honor for seven years. K-9 dogs take on whatever task is asked of them, oftentimes amidst the worst of circumstances. I thank him for his sacrifice for the city, I am thankful for the safety of Officer Longbehn and other officers involved in this incident, and I will remember Kody fondly as a good partner and companion for Officer Longbehn and the City of Saint Paul," 5 Eyewitness News reported.