« North Korea missile launch condemned | Main | Unexpected flight to Iraq by Obama »

Analysis: Numbers

Analysis: Numbers
'Vin Diesel's 'Fast & Furious' speeds to $72.5M opening, sets record for April debuts' (Star Tribune)

This article, a reaction to the opening weekend of the movie 'Fast & Furious', is filled with numbers. The reporter used the numbers to tell the financial success of the movie, in the movie industry, and relative to factors of time and other movies.. The amount of money it earned, rankings, comparisons financially to other movie earnings, time figures, and time/date references, were all used. When looking at the page, a lot of numbers popped out and feeling overwhelmed seemed possible. However, when reading the article, I thought it read smoothly and I wasn't inhibited from understanding. The numbers were appropriately spread throughout the text and placed with in the sentence. Math operations and crunching of numbers were very basic, mostly addition that I saw. The main to number operations I saw were additions of particular time earnings into total earnings or multiple country earnings totaled, as well as simple relations with rankings and ordering of figures. As far as sources, I didnt notice references besides studio estimates and data. Otherwise, it seemed to relative to 'known' past data. Overall, a good numbers article.

Star Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/movies/42495622.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsT