Game Day Podcast

Viking Underground Podcast Thirteen

The podcast this week is a double-header! The first part is a game day discussion with Class of 1999 Visa Hall of Fans member and Cincinnati Bengals fan Tony Mancuso. Listen in as we discuss the upcoming game between the Vikes and Bengals. You'll learn some Bengals history, Tony's season outlook for the Bengals, and also how the city of Cincinnati got their stadium built.

tony.jpg

Part Two is a discussion with Coworker Jim, resident of Cleveland and a Browns fan. Jim gives us his view of the Bengals as the Browns lost to them in their season opener. We discuss if the Vikings should fear the Bengals or not.

Give a listen!

Defense

Yesterday, I had asked you for input on your favorite Vikings defensive player of all time. And there is no right or wrong answer. Everyone has a favorite and it is interesting to hear all the stories. If you haven't left your favorite yet, just scroll down to yesterday's entry and leave yours!

Yes, there was a time when the Vikings defense was the talk of the league. Back then it was the Purple People Eater defense. Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, and Gary Larsen were the big men up front. Lonnie Warwick, Roy Winston, and Wally Hilgenberg manned the linebacker corp. Paul Krause, Bobby Bryant, Karl Kassulke, Charlie West, Nate Wright, and Jeff Wright were the various defensive backs during that period that protected the backfield.

But I pick Page as my favorite Vikings defensive player of all time. I know I would get little, if any, argument.

You see, Page changed the game for generations to come. Who can ever forget the speed the man had? Page often was called offsides simply because the officials didn't believe there was a defensive tackle who could spring into the backfield as fast as Page did without being offsides. Let me give you a history lesson.

Once when the Vikes were playing the Detroit Lions, the officials called Page offsides. Page told them where they should jump. On the very next play, the officials called Page offsides again. He wasn't, of course, and Page went nuts. So much so that Bud Grant had to remove Page from the game to try and calm Page down.

Page trotted back onto the field a play later. And he became a one-man wrecking crew. He was all over the quarterback. He went sideline to sideline. He actually dictated the game. It seemed as if we were watching a grown man playing a game of football with a bunch of 5th grade flag footballers. It was a game that I will never forget.

It was one of the most impressive displays of defensive play not to be seen again until Lawrence Taylor arrived on the scene with the Giants.

Alan Page, my favorite Vikings defensive player of all time.

Posted by maasx003 at September 16, 2005 6:13 AM