"The End is Nigh" by Mr. Cheer Or Die

apocalypse_soon.jpg

Updated Note, 8-27-2006: Vikes Geek can now be found here. The Viking Underground truly appreciates the time that Vikes Geek spent writing for us and wishes him well in his solo effort!!!!

The Four Horsemen have come for me. My time is done. I will soon be joining an emerging new trend in blogging: retirement.

I’ve talked with quite a few people over the last few months that are quitting blogging. Most just say they are getting tired. I would say it is an inevitable conclusion to any blogger. Whether it is ending an addiction or whether it's relieving a burden. The end result is the same.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve found myself meeting all sorts of new people. Great, wonderful people. But, blogging also introduces many pressures, especially when you have an extremely large audience listening.

Suddenly you feel you have to write a post everyday, like a newspaper you feel that the content must be new and fresh each day. Stats are addictive. A person can end up obsessing and crafting each post to keep that readership growing. So, I began to ask myself, “Will my world end if I stop blogging?? My response always came back resoundingly, "no".

I think blogging makes people tired. It certainly has with me. Not to mention doing it for diddly-squat. And all the pressures and intensity of conversations in the blogosphere just wears you out. Look at most of the older bloggers (e.g. guys and gals blogging for 2 - 3 years) and they are all slowing down or dropping off. Only a small few are still as active as when they started.

So I’ve chosen to march down a different path. I’ve chosen to get 20-hours a week back into my life. And to tell the truth, I feel the burden lifting just thinking about it!

The truth is that I haven't been blogging much recently. Apart from the wonderful stuff that Vikes Geek writes, most of the stuff here has been regurgitated. Either it's been tasters from my upcoming 'events' for that week, or it's been stuff I posted in the distant past. Or, it's actually been dealing with some of the hassle caused by blogging in the first place.

And that last one holds the key to all of this. I'm just not enjoying it any more. The truth is the only valuable stuff here is the links and articles that others have written. This site is meant to be a useful resource for Vikings fans. The blog is supposed to supplement that by commenting on things "purple" from a fans point-of-view. In reality, the blog has drawn a little too much attention to itself and I've ended up incessantly fretting over how to top the last entry!

I’m just plain done. I’m burned out. I’m tired of the writing. And I’m tired of doing all of the little things that are behind the scenes of blogging, and most likely poorly and with no conviction.

The bottom line is that while the zeal for the team is as strong as ever, my zest for the blog just isn’t there any more. It’s become more duty than recreation. And the reality is that I couldn’t be more content about leaving it all behind. I’ll be able to spend more time with my loved ones, have more time for reading, more time for travel, more time for studying art and visiting museums. And also watch a Vikes game with no thought of capturing a photograph or jotting down a note for a future blog entry or sending out something instantaneously to the moblog.

My parting gift was the mini-camp coverage which I hope you enjoyed. But one week from today this blog will go dark. As of June 1, it will be no more. We'll keep everything up for history and research sake. But no new entries will be added and the 'comments' feature will be switched off.

As soon as we know Vikes Geek new home, we'll pass that along.

Thanks, everyone! It really has been a wild ride. See you at the games!

All my best,

Brian

Posted by maasx003 at May 24, 2006 1:47 AM