Biggest Upset of the Weekend

The world does not revolve around American sports. I've always had a problem with crowning our sports teams as "world champions" when 90% of the world may not even play the sport. How can you deem yourself as a world champion when the sport you play may only take place in America?

I like to consider myself something of a world sports nut. Yeah, I still like American football the best but you can just as easily find me watching snooker (Google it if you have no idea) or my secret passion....rugby. Whenever I travel to Great Britain, I make a point to purchase as many rugby jersey's as my wife will allow.

So suffice it to say the biggest upset this past weekend was not the Giants beating the Patriots. Nope, not even close. It took place during the Six Nations tourney. The Six Nations is an annual competition to determine the top rugby nation in Europe. It is played between England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy. The top clash of Round 1 saw Wales journey to Twickenham, where the hosts England were out for revenge following a 27-18 loss in the last game of the 2007 tournament.

This past Saturday, Wales came from 13 points down to beat England 26-19 in the Six Nations on Saturday for its first win at Twickenham for 20 years. Twenty years. Can you imagine if the Vikings had not won at Lambeau for 20-years and went there and won?

Have a secret sports passion that you'd like to share? Leave a comment!

Go Wales! And go Vikes!

Posted by briankeithmaas@msn.com at February 6, 2008 1:00 AM