Gus

The Vikes are close to signing Mr. Gus Frerotte to be a backup(?) QB once again for the Purple. I guess that should ensure the lowest season ticket renewal rate of all-time.

For those who were watching Transformers on Saturday mornings during the late 90's and had no idea that football even existed, I bring you a history lesson. The time when Gus Frerotte head-butted a concrete wall in celebration, with the wall winning. At one time in his career, Gus Frerotte was an up-and-coming quarterback in the National Football League. Well, he was a starting QB anyway, starting 30 games for the Redskins from 1995 through late 1997. In a game against the N.Y. Giants, he celebrated a touchdown by slamming his head into a concrete wall. At least he was smart enough to leave his helmet on. Still, he was left woozy and headed to the hospital after suffering spasms at halftime. And, really, his career went downhill from the head-butt; he's started for seven different teams since.

060929_gus.jpg

One of those teams was the Vikings. In 2003 and 2004, Frerotte backed up Daunte Culpepper for the Minnesota Vikings. He was actually a stabilizing force for 'Pepper who leaned on Frerotte for mentorship. One could argue that when Frerotte left for Miami in 2005, Culpepper's career began to spiral downward.

What the aquisition does ensure is that the Vikes will take a QB in the 2008 draft. I do not believe the team would use a early draft pick to select Matt Ryan (Boston College Eagles). But if you'll recall, I did 'interview' Mr. Joe Flacco (Delaware) and I certainly think he could be drafted by the team.

For Those Keeping Score At Home

offseasonnew.jpg

No one can say the Vikes have been quiet this off-season and have certainly strengthened several key positions. But what about the draft? Can they take it a step further and repeat the successful draft of 2007? It will certainly come down to the first pick. And other than Peterson, history has not been kind to the Vikes lately.

draft23008.jpg

I still see the Vikes using the pick on a pass rushing DE. And my pick remains Mr. Derrick Harvey.

Posted by briankeithmaas@msn.com at April 7, 2008 1:39 AM