Moose Call

Former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Carl Eller was arrested and jailed on multiple charges. He was charged with DUI, resisting arrest, and assaulting a police officer. It would also appear that Moose was, well, being a moose.

According to the Star Tribune, officers attempting to arrest Eller on Wednesday morning attempted to use a Taser gun on him. And Moose kept on coming.

Eller reportedly hit the officers in the face “several times? and threatened to kill them. Eller threw one of them onto the hood of his SUV, and the officers “feared for their lives.?

“They were in the fight of their lives,? police inspector Mike Martin said at a press conference. “They were in distress . . . you could hear them screaming on the tape, ‘We need another car here. We need help here.’?

Eller was subdued only after three more officers arrived, and one put him in a neck hold. Sgt. Jessie Garcia demonstrated a restraint hold on Inspector Mike Martin during a news conference where they talked about the arrest of Eller.

Eller0410-eller0410.jpg

Man, I hope this doesn't somehow show up on YouTube. I mean, who can forget Eller's appearance in The Black Six? Note: See the 1:00 mark.

The last time I wrote extensively about Moose was January of 2006. Carl Eller's had opened a new fine dining eatry called the Purple People Eatery in Woodbury which got mixed reviews by the Star Tribune.

carlplace.jpg

At that time, I hadn't been there yet, but intended to get over. Only the restaurant abruptly closed soon after. Which was soon followed by a big ol' lawsuit. I found the following to be an interesting nugget from that story:

"Vikings players have a long history of association with allegedly dubious financial practices (see "Purple Stain," City Pages, 4/5/2000). Fran Tarkenton, the storied Minnesota quarterback, once started a fast-food breakfast chain called Scramblers that went belly-up. More significantly, as the top executive of a software company called Shareware, he was party to an enterprise accused of perpetrating a "financial fraud scheme" in chasing after investors. (The matter was settled in 1999 with an agreement under which Tarkenton made no formal admission of wrongdoing but agreed to cough up a $100,000 fine and $54,000 in bonuses.) Chuck Foreman, the team's five-time Pro Bowl running back, pleaded guilty to one count of mail fraud in 2000 for his purported connection to a series of bogus real-estate transactions."

Hey now! The Vikes greats also have had success as well. Benchwarmer Bob's and Joe Sensers places both do great.

Back to Eller. He's been in trouble before and may very well be again. On February 27, 2006, he was arrested for DUI. Eller has acknowledged his history as a substance abuser. But he has also become a treatment counselor and has spoken publicly to groups about the problems of chemical dependency. He just needs to realize DUI is serious. People get hurt. People get killed. I find nothing funny about this and I hope Eller can rebound and again become a person the Vikings can place front-and-center at fan related events.

I wish Moose the best.

Posted by briankeithmaas@msn.com at April 9, 2008 8:19 PM