Draft Countdown

It is now Day 6 of the Jared Allen watch. You know, the DE from Kansas City who had issues with being responsible....which is par for the course for people that age.

After much discussion with my internal Think Tank of all things Purple, I've come to the conclusion the Vikes should either A) give up this year's 1st Rd pick and their top 3rd Rd pick, or B) give up this year's 1st Rd pick and a current player TBD such as Bryant McKinnie or Ray Edwards. I think giving up this year's 1st and 2nd Rd picks would be a might high. Certainly, KC can go spit into the wind if they are waiting for this AND next year's 1st Rd picks.

Should the deal fall through, then I would hope my choice of Derrick Harvey, would fall into the Vikings laps. Not ideal, but those draft picks are valuable and I don't want to mortgage the farm for a proven DE in Allen. Not to say the thought of Allen playing alongside P-Will and K-Will doesn't excite me in the way Pamela Anderson excites those young boys just hitting puberty.

The VU will be suprisingly silent the remainder of this week despite this being draft week. My first duathlon of the season is this Sunday and I will be out-of-town. As for what I expect, I do think the Allen deal will get done and the excitement of the 1st Rd selection will be a non-factor for Vikes fans.

I still hope to attend a upcoming Vikings mini-camp session. Right now, it appears that camp will occur two-weeks after the draft. As long as my schedule is free, two weeks from now I should have photos of the newest Vikings for you.

Have a great remainder of the week!

Posted by briankeithmaas@msn.com at April 22, 2008 9:37 AM