ę Itís All About Me | Main | Spring has Sprung Ľ

Happy Birthday, Big Sister

I know Iíve been yammering on and on and on about my 40th birthday but this blog is about my big sister, Juanita.

We have a bond thatís pretty unique because I have the very great honor of being born on March 15, 1965, Juanitaís 10th birthday. You could even say I was her 10th birthday present. I like to think she was pleased about it but she probably would have preferred another Barbie instead. Family lore is that she named me and I think she made a good choice. It suits me.

For birthdays in our household, our mother would elaborately decorate cut-out cakes in the shapes of fish, rabbits or castles, but my favorite was the year Juanita and I had matching star-shaped cakes topped by a Barbie. It made me feel very important to share a cake with her.

Our father has special nicknames for us. In German families, daughters are often called ďSissy.Ē Itís not an insult, but an endearment. Juanita is Big Sissy and I, of course, am Little Sissy. And damn proud of it.

Through the years Juanita has always gone out of her way to make my birthday special. I particularly remember one year during elementary school when she stayed up late into the night making me a Holly Hobby doll. She presented it in the midst of my slumber party, to the delight of my friends.

Juanita has always made me feel special, too. She attended countless musical and choir performances, offered support and counsel, and probably bit her tongue more times than she could count. Her home was a place of refuge for me during my college years and thatís where our family gathers when we are together. She is our familyís lodestar.

Nita, you are my big sister, confidante, role model and friend. I wish you the very best on our birthday and throughout the coming year.

Posted by maasx003 at March 14, 2005 6:01 PM | Family

Happy Birthday Jackie, queen of the garden! Ides of March, indeed. CWL remembered this catchy way to remember your day, and now we find that it is your sister's, too. Was your Mom a clever Mom, or what? Blessings on your birthday.

Posted by: chuck & diana at March 15, 2005 7:48 AM

I loved the photo - if that isn't a little Graham in the pic i don't know who is. wow, identical to his momma. Hope you are enjoying your time off.

Posted by: Michelle at March 15, 2005 8:37 AM