Let the Garden Games Begin! | Main | Making Kuchen Memories

Going for Gold

I read this morning that the USA received its first gold medal at the Winter Olympics. Gardeners don’t have such opportunities to win medals, but there are opportunities for competition.

We have done all our major landscaping projects with Dundee nursery, working with landscape architect Jay Siedschlaw. Last year Jay’s photos of our gardens were used as Dundees’ ads in Mpls.St.Paul magazine, which was rather fun to see.

magazine_ad_small.jpg

At the end of the season last year, Jay asked if we would work with him to enter our gardens in the Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association’s annual Landscape Design competition.

Frankly, we didn’t feel our gardens were ready at that time, but this year we will gather photos and write text so we can enter. Any awards given go to the landscape firm which did the design, but we would feel like winners, too.

Check out this site to see which gardens/designers have won in previously years.

You make the call. Will we take home the gold?

A Royal Double-Take

I’m reading a book which features photos of the British royal family taken through the years by photographer Cecil Beaton.

One photograph from 1942, which shows the King, Queen and Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, made me look twice.

In the lower right-hand corner of the photo, seated on the edge of an armchair is a sixteen-year Princess Elizabeth. Is it just me or could she be my sister? I even showed the photo to Graham and asked, “Who does this lady look like?? and he said, “You, Mom!?

I’ve often thought the now-Queen Elizabeth looks like my aunt LaVerna. It must be the German ancestry that we share with the Queen.

Good genes and true breeding always tell!

A Second Flush

I always try to keep something blooming in the house during the dreary winter months. This year I’ve had tremendous success with a simple primrose I purchased from Cub Foods in January.

It has produced gorgeous coral flowers like the Eveready Bunny – it just keeps going and going and going. It bloomed solidly for almost a month, took a breather and has produced another set of flowers.

early mid feb dogs 002 small.jpg

I bought two pots of primroses for $4.00. The other plant, which had yellow flowers, petered out pretty quickly, but this little plant has proved to be a great value for the money.

Posted by maasx003 at February 15, 2006 1:02 AM | Family | Gardens

Well you are definitely a good-looking lady! I have always thought you were twins with Debra Messing (of Will and Grace).

Posted by: Dvora at February 15, 2006 8:35 AM