« All Irish Dance, All the Time | Main | Are You Worthy? »

Winter Wonderland? Enough Already!

Such are the vagaries of gardening in the Upper Midwest: last Sunday morning, March 12, I spent a delightful time in the early spring garden.

I counted the blooming snowdrops under the front maple. They had arrived a week earlier than usual.

snowdrop.jpg

I lifted bags of leaves from the hellebores and took a peak. Imagine my surprise to find so many blossoms here as well. I keep forgetting that in warmer climes they bloom in December.

spring001.jpg

And I took a quick inventory of all the other bulbs that were starting to poke their way through the soil, including these early crocus and daffodils.

crocdaf.jpg

That was about 10 a.m. By 4:30 p.m. when I could finally get back in the garden and do some work, in this case cutting back some shaggy-looking grasses, the first little snowflakes appeared. And then there were more snowflakes and more snowflakes and more and more.

Monday morning brought our first and only true winter storm of the season. Then we had another big dump on Thursday. All my pretty little blooms and bulbs are now covered by two feet of snow.

The good news is that these early emergers are tough, and the snow will keep them well-insulated. Actually, the snow is starting to melt already.

We may receive more snow in March than in any other month, but at least you know that it won’t last. Soon these same plants will be uncovered again and they’ll be here to stay.

At last!

What I’m Reading

In the middle of: “Succession Planting for Year-Round Pleasure� by Christopher Lloyd. Just started: “Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell� by Susanna Clarke, at Brian’s recommendation. And “Julie and Julia : 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen : how one girl risked her marriage, her job and her sanity to master the art of living� by Julie Powell. It’s a hoot!

Listening to: “The Secret History of the Pink Carnation� by Lauren Willig. The tales of a female spy in the vein of the Scarlet Pimpernell.

Graham’s current favorite: “No Flying in the House� by Betty Brock.

Today’s Grahamisms

After his St. Patrick’s Day Irish dance performance, Graham said, “When I was dancing, I felt like I had to scratch my hair but I knew I couldn’t do it on stage so I just kept on dancing.�

“I miss Sister Olivia (our dear, departed Dalamatian). I wonder where she is in heaven. Maybe if we threw water up in the air, we could see her.�

“Maybe I can get married when I’m 17.� (Mom says, Maybe not!)

Posted by maasx003 at March 18, 2006 5:01 PM | Books | Family | Gardens

Hey, I love the "get married at 17"--remind me to tell you the story of Kelly's Denni, age 5, sneaking out of Kent's house at 11 p.m. to go look for her mom and dad and then the story about clark's Faith, her run in with the law at age 3! Karen

Posted by: Kmeier at March 22, 2006 7:02 PM