« freaky | Main | nothing says i love you like vomit »

mo problems

this morning, i almost crashed. not the i haven't slept so i need to crash kind of crash, but a car kind of crash. it's because i got distracted by advertising.

i saw a snickers billboard from a distance but i couldn't read it. i was coming up to an intersection, turning left. i didn't see any cars coming towards me, so i continued turning left, while looking up and to the right to get a good read at the billboard. then poof! a car appeared out of nowhere and i had to slam on the brakes while swerving right. i barely missed kissing the other car's driver door with my front bumper. that billboard almost created some problems for me.

but that's what a lot of advertising is about. making problems. you can't wear a blanket and type on your laptop? you need a snuggie. research shows that you don't even know about some problems you have until advertising brings them up.

at the same time, some advertising helps solve problems. maybe you don't know what you want to eat? i'm sure advertising could give you some ideas.

good advertising solves problems. bad advertising makes problems. i try to do the solving. and it's a lot of fun.

if i would have crashed into that guy, he might of gotten out his car and yelled, "what were you thinking?!?!" i would have said "slay dragons with sir snacksalot" because that's what the billboard said. then i would have gone to the gas station and bought him a snickers bar. and hopefully advertising would solve the problem it just caused me.

UPDATE: turns out the headline on this billboard is actually from a tv spot: http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/commercials/7282/

It figures you'd be distracted by a dinosaur! :) I'm glad you avoided it...

My mom totally fell for the snuggies ad! She said I should get one so that I can stay warm while knitting. And I said that's what sweatshirts are for.

snuggies and dinosaurs are both hard to resist.