« May 2005 | Main | July 2005 »

west coast pictures!

here is an abridged photographic presentation of our family vacation.

airport:

Image hosted by Photobucket.comi had an old school suitcase that my dad used over 20 years ago when he first moved out to the west coast. upon this luggages return to the west coast some alterations had to be made. duct was used to help hold the suitcase shut. good thing it doesn't look suspicious or anything.

seattle, washington and surrounding areas:

Image hosted by Photobucket.comrode up to the space needle to get a good view of the city. here i am gazing over with me siblings.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comsome of my favorite animals inhabit seattle.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comon the harbor cruise, i was caught drooling over safeco field seen in the distance. the twins need a stadium like this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comright next to safeco field is their football stadium with mt rainier in the background. the vikings do not deserve this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comi jumped off of the cruise boat to navigate the ocean on a whale. eat your heart out moby dick.

Image hosted by Photobucket.commy sister and i looked down at rattlesnake lake from a cliff after a long hike.

portland, oregon and surrounding areas:

Image hosted by Photobucket.comafter a good search, we found the house in which i spent the first year of my life. my parents rented out the upstairs to this house.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comquick guys, strike a pose in front of this waterfall with a long name that a forgot. it starts with an M i think.

Image hosted by Photobucket.combatman?

Image hosted by Photobucket.comfamily pose in front of a huge tree? sure!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comthis is cannon beach on the pacific ocean. apparently part of the goonies was filmed here. naturally i acted like a pirate. yarrrrrrr!

back in washington:

Image hosted by Photobucket.commy brother and i pose in front of mt st helens

Image hosted by Photobucket.comthis mt used to be more rounded and normal until it blew its top off in 1980. you can still see that it is an active volcano from the steam rising from the lava dome in the center.

here are some extra tidbits for music enthusiasts. we drove a lot on the 405 (death cab for cutie song). we passed bremerton (mxpx hometown). we visited astoria (ataris album). we passed sleater-kinney road (sleater kinney is a band). at some point i will have to write about some of my parents old friends that held me as a baby that i got to see for the first time in 20 years. including a former chicago gang member.

taking a left for the west coast.

this will be brief since i still need to start packing. family vacation time! my family and i will be leaving for seattle, washington today and won't be back for a week. i will also be visiting the place of my birth. the greatest city in the world--->portland, oregon. i actually remember nothing of this place since we moved from there as i was still only a one year old. so it should be quite exciting. i am sure that everyone is eagerly awaiting my return to the city. i bet the mayor already has the key ready for me. i decided that i am not gonna shave. so we will see how much scruff i can grow. i need to blend into the grunge crowd of seattle. now what do i need to pack?

minnesota twins then batman begins

like many of my adventures this one begins on the metro transit bus 16. roommate tom and i were headed westbound to downtown to catch the twins vs giants. the fare was $1.75 because it was considered peak hours for another 15 minutes. waiting at the busstop for the next bus would not be worth the 50 cents we could save. it was student half price night however plus dollar dogs so the party in da club was at the metrodome. we took our tickets and entered gate C. while purchasing some of the dollar dogs, we happened to run into joel zimmerman, aka J-Z. this was one of the kids we meant to meet up with anyways. so it worked out quite well. we took our seats near melissa, aka melissa rae cyrus. and saved a seat for ryan, aka ryan! unfortunately the twins lost after mounting a near comeback, only to blow it late in the game. tom and i made quick farewells to the park HS crew because we had already made further plans. there was no way we were going to let wednesday end so poorly.

we continued our journey into the heart of downtown. to save change we used our feet to carry us further westbound. our destination was block E, to catch the 10.30 showing of batman begins. we weaved our way through the depressed twins fans as well as the occasional delusional giants fans. sped walked down 7th street, and arrived at block E with 30 minutes to spare. perfect time to buy a popcorn so big that i would not finish it, as well as a pop which i would also not finish to wash down the popcorn i would not finish. but i had to get the big ones because they were the 'best deal.' we had the best seats in the theater. but midway through the movie i regretted buying that huge pop because it was ready to make an exit, even before all of it made an entrance. but this was not the movie where you would want to miss anything because the story held you down so well. so i held it. this movie was by far the best batman movie and could easily be the best movie of the summer. yes i even believe it to be better than the star wars movie that i went to the midnight showing of. you should probably just see it, because my words will do it no justice.

so batman saved our night. and we began our 4 mile walk home. we had plenty of excitement from the movie, so walking was a smart idea. there were some interesting people on the walk home. like the man in the silver chevy impala. he stopped in the middle of the road to ask a question, "know where any strip bars are at?" i replied, "sorry, i don't go to those." even after this the man still sat there in the middle of the road with his fancy silver impala, unsure of what to do with himself. so i continued, "take a left on washington, you will prolly find something downtown." hindsight tells me that perhaps i should have told him to take a right on washington. this way he would have been welcomed by the open arms of Jesus painted on the side of the Love Power church. you all know the place. we walked past it as we continued our journey home. the Love Power church bans guns on its premises, read on two paper signs on the churches glass doors. i know it is because Jesus, just like Bruce Wayne, can save people without guns.

the scenic route.

i just went bowling with some work people. i could tell you how much i rocked at bowling. but i would rather talk about the drive. some of you may wonder how to turn a 15 minute drive into an hour. well let's take a look at the map.

MAP!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

the purple line is the fastest route to the particular bowling alley we went to. 94W to 694E and finally exit on central avenue. now the red dots is the actual route we took. 94W to 394W to 100N to 694W which turns into 94E at which point we turn around and drive on some back roads for a while before heading back onto 494S to 55E to 169N to 694E and finally exiting onto central avenue (at which point we turned in the wrong direction on central ave).

some non related direction:
with all of this confusion i thought i would clean up some things on this blog. i changed the layout for the links and archives to save space. i think it works better although you will probably not even notice. if you want me to link to your site, let me know and i will gladly put you up!

the return of the faux hawk

you may remember the death of the faux hawk, which occured over a year ago. well after growing the hair since then with a few cuts here and there, my head grew quite a mop of hair. i thought i would keep growing it, but the summer heat is just too much to take. so i chopped off a great deal of hair for the return of the faux hawk. ready...photoshoot!

BANG!BANG!BANG!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

A RETURN OF A DIFFERENT SORT

i also made a return to two of the schools of my youth. first off was cedar manor for my little brothers 6th grade graduation ceremony. turns out my 6th grade teacher is still there, unfortunatly she was not able to make it to the ceremony. they also still have the same playground with the same tornado slide that i jumped off during a game of tag and almost bit my tounge off, resulting in tounge stiches. hopefully jr high will go well for my brother.

the second school was the ol' SLP high school for my sister's graduation. go sister! i got to see some people that i have not seen since HS, but i thought i would have kept up with them but i didnt. i wish i would have. hopefully i will do better at keeping up with people after i graduate college in less than a year. all of these reminders of memories, i am not sure what to think. it's times like these where i need a...Orange Mocha Frappachino!

one little, two little, three little indians

arby's 5 roast beef sandwhiches for $5.95 deal is pretty nice. but the 5 for 5 this post deals with is regarding torii hunter not roast beef. for those of you who do not enjoy reading when i write about sports, this would be one of those posts that you should probably just skip over.

sadly, i did not make it out to my first twins game of the season until tonight, but happily it ended in a victory. torii hunter went 5 for 5 including a grand slam. he picked up two more RBIs by beffutling the opposition by hitting a ball sky high inbetween one little, two little, three little indians. all three little clevland indians all just decided to let the ball drop. torii also made one of his signature catches. so he lifted the twins to a victory making their record perfect so far with me in attendance.

one thing that i enjoy at twins games outside of the actual game of baseball is the variety of people that attend. there was a daycare sitting in front of me, with motherly and fatherly figures that enjoyed trying to tell me jokes. blond ditzy girls sitting behind me talking about getting stoned. and several large fellows that sat in the middle of my row and forced me to take a 7th inning stretch every inning as they were always leaving their seat for food or the bathroom, i think they just alternated every inning.

i have to start going to a lot more games. i have some catching up to do.