« November 2007 | Main | January 2008 »

there's a lack of color here

merry christmas

my little cousin would like to wish you a merry christmas!

my mind to your mind. my thoughts to your thoughts.

one of my favorite parts of being home during the day is star trek. spike tv always plays episodes for a good 3 to 4 hours. today it reminded me of a shirt i had just seen at urban outfitters. there must be a lack of trekkies working at urban, because there is no such thing as a vulcan death grip. the only time it's mentioned on the show is as a bluff. there's a vulcan nerve pinch, but that only renders the victim unconscious. and the image on the shirt isn't even a nerve pinch. it's obviously a vulcan mindmeld between kirk and spock.

g store

the first job i ever applied for was at cub foods. a new one was just put in at knollwood mall. they almost hired me. but the union prevented that. i didn't want to pay them money. especially since cub foods didn't want to pay me much money. someone else had to stock their shelves.

that was then. now, every week or so i must stock the food shelves of my house. so hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to the grocery store i go. or as i like to call it, the g store.

the g store can get pretty boring. almost boring enough to start using simon delivers. but i find ways to entertain myself. i do everything i couldn't do as a child. like scooting around on the grocery cart and buying cereal based on which one has a toy inside. only recently have i started to buy vegetables. maybe a sign that i'm growing up. then i race home, and rip open up the box of cereal to get at my new toy.

cardnivore

here's a card i made for a friend. i had about 30 minutes to think it up and draw it. click it to see inside.

is that an alien?

copywriter: what should i draw?
art director: a toad doing the hula hoop.
copywriter: ok.

street eater

eat this meal of happy

try to make everyone happy. when i was younger, i told a close friend that, "i want to make everyone in the world happy." and i wasn't even a beauty pageant contestant. it hurts my heart to see sadness. but happiness, just seeing it in others, brings my heart great joy. happy happy joy joy.

as a Christian, i believe there is a common misconception that one must always be happy. for i know i have struggled with this myself. what sort of example is a sad Christian setting? cheer up emo Christian kid. put on a happy face. everything's perfect...not!

i have found unmeasurable amounts of happiness through my faith. but the world is not perfect. and it can tear away at happiness. i find myself writing this at a time when many things haven't been going my way. that'll happen.

reading through psalms, a book filled with praises, you'll find most to be psalms of lament. followers struggling with their own happiness. but they don't just sit around being all emo about their problems. every lament is followed by a plea for help, a statement of trust and a vow of praise. they give up their struggles to God.

there's no magical happy meal to feed people's happiness. i know i can't make everyone happy. but that doesn't mean i'll stop trying to spread happiness. when things are down, the only way to look is up.

so if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. clap on, clap off, the clapper.