Happy Easter!

can i get an amen?

tonight was my first experience with vespers at bethel college. i have always heard about it since jr high. my friends would often make the venture out to arden hills to attend. but i had never gone. well tonight i went, and i loved it. i can't believe that i have never gone. the whole purpose is to sing praise and worship songs to God. i try to center my life around God, and singing songs to praise him fills me with great joy. and to do this for a good solid hour...words cannot describe. i love music and i love God, so music to God just makes sense. Amen.

the weekend update

just when it seemed that i had nothing to write about, i was hit across the face with an abundance of things to write about. so to best replay all these events a top 10 list is in order. so here are the top 10 weekend events:

#10-going to valleyfair with no lines and then being poured on by the rain while stuck on a roller coaster.

#9-getting original ghostbuster and ninja turtles puzzles made into posters by my mom and sister. come see them sometime!

#8-going to hope community church on a 90 degree day. this church has no A/C so it was hot as hell, but it is still cool as heaven!

#7-the twins win 5-4 after scoring 5 runs in the inning that i claimed was going to be "our" inning before it even happened. and making some random stranger high 5 buddies.

#6-battling waves at lake calhoun and throwing rocks.

#5-FIVEEEE GOLDEN RINGGGGS!

#4-going to bars and seeing some people i have not seen in year(s).

#3-getting offered the job of a marketing assistant at the twin cities student unions. so now i have 3 jobs for when school starts, and some schudule figuring out to do.

#2-a friday night spent at the IMAX theater to watch batman begins once again, only this time a bazillion times larger. isn't this what every college kid does on a friday night.

and the #1 event this weekend was the return of TC the bear, making his third appearance in my blog. his little helper man took a picture with my camera phone.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

minnesota twins then batman begins

like many of my adventures this one begins on the metro transit bus 16. roommate tom and i were headed westbound to downtown to catch the twins vs giants. the fare was $1.75 because it was considered peak hours for another 15 minutes. waiting at the busstop for the next bus would not be worth the 50 cents we could save. it was student half price night however plus dollar dogs so the party in da club was at the metrodome. we took our tickets and entered gate C. while purchasing some of the dollar dogs, we happened to run into joel zimmerman, aka J-Z. this was one of the kids we meant to meet up with anyways. so it worked out quite well. we took our seats near melissa, aka melissa rae cyrus. and saved a seat for ryan, aka ryan! unfortunately the twins lost after mounting a near comeback, only to blow it late in the game. tom and i made quick farewells to the park HS crew because we had already made further plans. there was no way we were going to let wednesday end so poorly.

we continued our journey into the heart of downtown. to save change we used our feet to carry us further westbound. our destination was block E, to catch the 10.30 showing of batman begins. we weaved our way through the depressed twins fans as well as the occasional delusional giants fans. sped walked down 7th street, and arrived at block E with 30 minutes to spare. perfect time to buy a popcorn so big that i would not finish it, as well as a pop which i would also not finish to wash down the popcorn i would not finish. but i had to get the big ones because they were the 'best deal.' we had the best seats in the theater. but midway through the movie i regretted buying that huge pop because it was ready to make an exit, even before all of it made an entrance. but this was not the movie where you would want to miss anything because the story held you down so well. so i held it. this movie was by far the best batman movie and could easily be the best movie of the summer. yes i even believe it to be better than the star wars movie that i went to the midnight showing of. you should probably just see it, because my words will do it no justice.

so batman saved our night. and we began our 4 mile walk home. we had plenty of excitement from the movie, so walking was a smart idea. there were some interesting people on the walk home. like the man in the silver chevy impala. he stopped in the middle of the road to ask a question, "know where any strip bars are at?" i replied, "sorry, i don't go to those." even after this the man still sat there in the middle of the road with his fancy silver impala, unsure of what to do with himself. so i continued, "take a left on washington, you will prolly find something downtown." hindsight tells me that perhaps i should have told him to take a right on washington. this way he would have been welcomed by the open arms of Jesus painted on the side of the Love Power church. you all know the place. we walked past it as we continued our journey home. the Love Power church bans guns on its premises, read on two paper signs on the churches glass doors. i know it is because Jesus, just like Bruce Wayne, can save people without guns.

understanding {in a car crash} from the passenger's seat

it seemed like a typical drive home from the grocery store. roommate tom and i make these grocery runs on a regular occasion. today however, there were two distinct differences: 1) it was raining 2) we hit a jetta.

now i have been through my shares of accidents since being awarded my license to drive, but never have i been in the passenger seat. i now know that i have very little control over this sort of occurence whether i be in the passenger seat or the drivers seat. with the exception of a few headaches, all seems to be well, so let's move on to what i did this past weekend.

i journeyed up to big sandy bible camp in a car with my friend ellen. it was a weekend retreat for hope community church. it was a quite wonderful experience. nothing brings you closer to God than watching all of your church's pastors wrestle in huge sumo suits. i enjoyed the times of worship as i really felt the love of Jesus.

the speaker we had talked about how God has everything under control. he talked about how it is impossible for us to control everything, and most often it is best to just pray to God, and trust in his ways.

which kind of brings me back to today. i realize that i should try harder to let Jesus drive my heart, and i always struggle with this. because even when i try to drive my heart and i think i have control, i don't because i will stumble and fall. just as when i am driving a car and am under the misconception of being in complete control, i still get into accidents (almost averaging one a year since having my license). or even when i am in the passenger seat and something else is driving my heart, be it money, girls, popularity etc, it still ends with the same result-->stumbling and the fall. but it is amazing how God is always there for me, even when i am not always there for him.

it is well, it is well, with my soul.

much love for my sister!

one night over the summer my sister was pondering as to whether she should even write an essay for the possibility of a full scholarship to ithaca college in upstate new york. she did not expect to get anything, but with a little encouragement, she wrote this essay the night before it was due, and express mailed it out to new york.

recently, she was told that she was one of around 50 finalists for 19 of these scholarships. so this last weekend she flew out to NY for an interview.

tonight, she got the call that she has received one of these scholarships! this means that she does not need to pay for tuition, housing, food, a fully loaded computer of her choosing, books, and pretty much whatever other need her heart desires, oh and they also hook her up with internships!

i love my sister lots, and i am so happy that she has been given this ridiculously incredible blessing. janelle marie mackereth, you make me a very proud brother! much thanks to God, for he always seems to work in wonderful ways.

simply put, my sister is amazing. sometimes i worry about how much of a workaholic she is, but evidently it has paid off. i could keep gushing and typing about this for a while, but i won't. i think i have made it clear as to how joyful, proud, and thankful i am that this has happened.

a feather sends the tower crashing, but you're still standing.

lately, i have been giving myself more and more to do, by adding more activities and responsibilities for myself. i feel like one of those cartoon characters who is catching all this heavy stuff like pianos, bank safes, navy ships and whatnot. and then balancing this godzilla sized tower of heavy objects, an almost impossible feat. then just as it seems they have everything under control, a feather {or any other extremely light item} floats slowly down on top the tower. suddenly, our cartoon friend can no longer hold all this weight and everything comes crashing down on top of him.

but the wonderful thing is, that even after failing to hold it all up, the cartoon character arises from beneath the pile, and life goes on. perhaps with a few extra birds or stars floating around the head. but the wacky adventures continue.

and right now, my heart is in a good place, strongly established in my faith. i know that even if a feather floats down to try and spoil the fun, i will probably be able to bear its weight. and even if i don't, i know that life is still wonderful.

good grief and happy holidays

Lucy: "Get the biggest aluminum tree you can find, Charlie Brown, maybe painted pink."

we got a Christmas tree in our apartment now, all fresh and pink. like i said before, my room smells like christmas. I have been drinking pepsi spice, which tastes like the holidays. we have a lot of Christmas goodies to eat in our kitchen. we have an advent calendar up on our wall. all this Christmas stuff, it must be getting close. just a week and a half of school, papers and finals to get through.

Charlie Brown: (shouting in desperation) Isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what Christmas is all about?

Linus Van Pelt: Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you. Lights, please. (A spotlight shines on Linus.) "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men'". That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie brown.

intervention

Matthew 5
29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

here is my addition to this passage...
...if your roommates xBox causes you to play burnout 3 excessively, let him take it from the living room and throw it back in his own room. it is better for you to work partially on video games and partially on productive things than for your whole work to be thrown into video games.

this intervention from my roommate was needed as i have 4 midterms and a paper in the next two weeks.

ps-roommate tom reaches near death so i reach death cab for cutie
tom has had a fever for a few days now, it got up to 102 before the death cab show so i went as a proxy for him. {i was not planning on going as i am cutting back on my shows to pay rent, but we could not let this ticket go to waste}. This was the 5th or 6th time i have seen death cab, every time it has been at first avenue. the main difference i have noticed is the audience. we will call them transatlantians. these are people that have become fans with the release of death cab's most recent album transatlanticism. they are the ones that become fans after 'discovering' death cab on MTV subterranean, or hearing them on the OC. they are the ones that look confused as hell when death cab played a song from something about airplanes or even photo album, as if this 'new' band has a ton of 'new' material that they have not heard. sorry i do not mean to rant, i am glad they have fans, it is just hard for me to jam out when the place is sold out. the first time i saw death cab the place was half full. despite the masses, i still jammed out, because death cab is such pretty music. the first band though, travis morrison, i do not know what to think of them. the girl in that band danced like a cheerleader, i have nothing against cheerleaders, it is just that this kind of dancing did not fit the music. and the music had lots of keys. overall a sweet show, i had fun. i am taking tom to the hospital today if he is still feverish. and this long paragraph is done, and if you read it all i congradulate you. i would have lost my way in the jumble of letters numerous times.

pps-maybe i will write about my fake girlfriend annika olauson soon!
whom, by the way, was at the first death cab show i went to.

a change in the weather

since starting college, my faith has been kind of erratic. i have tried to keep the appearance of it always being strong. but after this weekend, i feel that i am on the way up again. and i have not felt this happy and secure in my faith since high school. it is a wonderful feeling.

stabbed in the arm...

so looking back on my painting job, my fellow painters listened to a lot of rap. they would have outkast days, and kanye west days, and B96 days. mike he especially liked kanye west. mike is a good christian now, and back in HS he was stabbed in the arm with a knife during a fight. i saw the scar, pretty crazy. he said he pulled it out right away cause he didn't like the idea of having a knife stuck deep down into his bone. he went into a lot of detail of how he could see his muscles flex, like the actual muscles after he pulled out the knife. and how he lost 1/5th of his blood.

we obviously didnt have much in common seeing as he was a huge guy who has been stabbed and i am a scrawny kid yet to be in a fight. he likes mostly rap, i like mostly punk. so when we would talk for long periods of time it would either be about how much we hate painting or how much we love Jesus. Kanye West he has a good song that i actually enjoyed a lot because of the lyrics {plus it is catchy} called "jesus walks" {you kids may have seen it on MTV}. in this song he goes into how rappers should write some more meaningful songs than the typical sex and drugs ditty. and with clever lyrics like: "The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus" how could you not like the song? anyways this song has been in my head forever.

check out the lyrics--->

Continue reading "stabbed in the arm..." »

Genesis 2:3

sunday is the day of rest, so i am sure to take that into account. i slept in super late, woke up, ate and then took a nap after lounging outside in the sun. plus there is still a graduation party to go to.

all this after a long night last night of killing people {halo style}.
and in preperation of another week of what? yea, painting houses.

::THE END::

ps-{And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.}

destination: beautiful

i still need to settle back into this house. i have slept a lot since being home. my stuff is scattered everywhere. i filled a huge garbage full of clothes, cause i have too many.
bag's destination: goodwill.
it looks like i have a job this summer. with college pro painters, painting 40-50 hours a week at $8.50/hr. it is a relief to have a job set up.
david's destination: moneyland!
it will be a fun job because i will get to spend time working outside, and at previous jobs i could only stare out of the window *cough*oldnavy*cough* it will be nice to be making money again.
money's destination: next year's rent

ps-the wolves lost yesterday, and God cried (it rained), because God is a Timberwolves fan.

::THE END::

::my heart overflows with emotion::

i am so emo right now, and i don't even care how "uncool" that may be.

people are leaving, finals are approaching, and i still need to find a job.

i just take things one day at a time, and remember how much love God has. it makes for more positive emo-ness.

::THE END::

dear diary

look! two days of blogs!
how boring...
soon i will write exciting things...
heart,
.david.

ps-where did a heart with a twist of lemon come from?
well, i like pepsi twist and so it is close to my heart, but not as close as Jesus, but a heart with a twist of Jesus did not sound as good. so we stuck with the lemon. plus life gets pretty sour sometimes, but love makes it better! Oh and not love like i am a hippie love but love like 1st John 4:19 love.

and the every new day part comes from a five iron frenzy song titled every new day because that song makes me happy.