« What is experience? | Main | Stages of Embodied Practice »

Shusterman Article

by Maggi Adamek

This is a wonderful article that demonstrates how somatics can be integrated into scholarly methodologies and can influence a discipline....

Download file

First, pardon a fit of idiosyncrasy: I will use "me-body" rather than "my body" as the latter seems to separate me from my body which is one of the maladies I would like to overcome. In my first BMC session with Margie (and through acupuncture) I have become aware of where stress resides in me-body. If stress resides in ones tissues, then shame and fear and all their cousins (anxiety, dread, humiliation, despair, abandonment etc.) are likely to reside there too. Of course, joy, pleasure, accomplishment, and other positive experiences are to be found in the body-mind. I wonder where and how I might find them in me-body and what significance that might hold for me.

Parent educators and parent education literature takes up questions of ethical practice with parents in an obviously personal, intimate, vulnerable life sphere. Exploration of embodiment reopens the question of ethics in a dramatic way for me. Is there ethical ground on which a practice of parent education could address the embodiment of parents? Would it be effective to turn to the bodymind, and if so for what kinds of concerns of parents? What preparation would a professional need to turn parents to their bodyminds? What is the utility of embodied practices in professional human services? Is it for education? For therapy? For the few or the many?