« OPINES and CARJ - A response | Main | What We're Doing When We're Experiencing in the First Person »

"Experiencing my Experience..."

As part of their monthly embodiment workshop on 1/22/10, the Embodied Methodologies Working Group considered the following question:

What insights about your own embodiment have you gained as a result of participating in these embodiment workshops?

Experiencing My Experience

Experiencing my experiencing is a big thing going on for me during these workshops. I have learned how to do this. The usual cognitive activity that I come in with moves to the background and the direct experience moves to the foreground. I have never experienced the 'flipped switch' of cognition to actual lived physiology before this. "Experiencing the experience" happens in different ways. I can't tell you how my experience is foregrounded, but we have talked about "getting out of our own way." I still don't know much about 'getting out of my way,' but now I have experienced it in several different ways by participating in this.

How The Discovery Happens

You can't control when insight happens, but you have to show up. It's about practice and sometimes you luck out and have a deep insight.

Struggling to Experience My Experience: What's Going On?

I didn't flip the switch. I didn't know how to know. I knew I needed to get somewhere, but I couldn't get there I had trouble feeling if I was there. I was trying. I couldn't arrive and then felt myself being pulled away. When I'm troubled in my work, I scramble. When I don't do this type of movement work regularly, I feel peripheral to it - like I've lost my place.

The way I think as an academic is tied to not moving, no mobility, being sedentary. My thinking is smaller. When I move, I wake up and feel more open, more awake, better. I am far more aware of the disconnect between movement, body, mind and how I think.

I try to bring in this style of embodiment practice into my exercise, but it is more difficult to do when I'm by myself.

The Question Is Changing

The question has changed from "how do I bring this into my class?" to "how do I learn to do this myself?" This shift means that when I open to this new question, it will transform me.