Workshop: Nanotech-Biology Interface

The Center for Science, Technology & Public Policy at the Humphrey Institute of the University of Minnesota will host a workshop on September 15, 2005 to explore and evaluate models for the oversight of nanotechnology, with a focus on nanoparticles that are used in or derived from biological systems.
-http://www.hhh.umn.edu/centers/stpp/nanotechnology.html

Nanotechnology; morever, *technology has always been a fascinating subject. And with my newfound interest in oncology and cancer research, the biological aspect of it seems very intriguing. Not only will there be speakers overviewing nanotech in "biological systems", but there will also be discussions pertaining to the moral, ethical, and legal aspects pertaining to the nature of this scientific research. I admit that I, like many other scientists I know, am not too crazy about this subject. I like science, and think that researching cures for diseases that will last for the rest of our species' existence is much more humantarian than being too afraid of the moral repercussions to touch the issue. But then, the only reason why bioethics fuels such a hot debate is because there are valid points of argument to each side. So I digress.

I'm in a bit of a jam because some of the workshop conflicts with my school schedule. I actually considered emailing my Physics and Math professors (as they are the ones whose courses I would miss) about it, and see if I could afford missing their classes for a day as they are only discussion blocks. Needless to say, this workshop will be spectacular and I anticipate it with much eagerness.

Posted by magnu225 at 4:13 PM · Upcoming Events

Fall 2005 Schedule

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
8:00-
8:50
Phys 1301Phys 1301Phys 1301 Phys 1301
9:05-
9:55
   Phys disc. 
10:10-
11:00

11:15-
12:05

12:20-
1:10
Mus 1013Math disc.Mus 1013Math disc.Mus disc.
1:25-
2:15
 Math 2374 Math 2374
2:30-
3:20
 Phys lab   
3:35-
4:25

4:40-
5:30

6:00-
7:15
 Bio 1009 Bio 1009 
7:30-
9:25-
 Bio lab   

Schedule is subject to change.
Posted by magnu225 at 5:38 PM

Blog Host Catfight

I am trying really hard to conjure up enough thoughts to justify posting on here, while still retaining consistency on my other blog. Right now, LiveJournal is responsible for publishing what I write on my personal life, whereas I have just been using this blog to mess around and get things ready for if and when I "make the transition" from one host to the next. But I have been commited to LJ for about three years running, and I'm not sure I want to give up my habitual posting there. So, a couple of choices emerge. I could write all of my university-related experiences here, and keep LJ for the miscellaneous trifles. Or, I could do that, but cross-post into my LJ accout what I have written here. Or I could just give up a journal all together, only having to worry about the one I chose to keep (the victor of that contest would be LiveJournal, as I still wish to belong to a community). However, one thing is for certain: I won't quit writing. Even if half the posts are painfully egotistical and completely trivial to everyone else on the internet, I will continue to write.

Posted by magnu225 at 12:47 PM

Buttons!

Once again displeased with the way things looked on here, I decided to go on a hackfest. This time around, my syndication/verification buttons have been molded.

Since the W3C verification buttons suck big eggs, I decided I would go with a thin, sleek look. And thanks to Adam Kalsey's Button Maker tool, I could make an Antipixel-esqe banner, but still retain some sort of theme I'm going for on my blog.

Granted, I know these features won't be used very much. But it's more of a principle of vanity in making one's content ęsthetically pleasing and presentable... without the big, blocky icons.

Posted by magnu225 at 9:28 AM · Changelog

Theme Adjustments

Dissatisfied with the default style UMNlib gave me, I decided to do some CSS styling, trying to have some sort of 'theme' attached... ergo the maroon-gold University colours.

The hex code for my "golden" sidebar is #FFFFC4, and it's lighter than what the conventional gold is (perhaps, #FFCC33; taken from an HTML colour wheel), because it's a website background and not a bright banner; albeit, still not quite what I had in mind.

I can also say that it was a lot of fun having to go in and change all the default backgrounds from #FFF (shorthand white) to a nothing so they would inherit the underlying background color... that is to say everything becomes that shade off-gold.

On the bright side, there are the maroon anchor tags (hex: #003366) which don't look too bad. But other than that, I'm pretty thematically-challenged

Posted by magnu225 at 3:12 PM · Changelog

Image Test!

FL000003.jpg
The author

Posted by magnu225 at 8:55 AM

Blog emerges

I'm pretty new to this whole Movable Type business, so it might take some getting used to.

Posted by magnu225 at 10:22 AM · Changelog