Recently in Reserves Category

More Changes in Magrath Circulation Desk Area

The book preshelves have been moved to the left of the reserve collection and are now just outside the door to Steve Koelher's office. The ASL videos and permanent reserve video collection and equipment, including headphones and DVD player remote, have been moved to opposite of where the reserves are now in Magrath in order to give the reserve collection room for growth as more items are added. The shelves have been rearranged a bit and the government/state document shelves have been given more space. The "Get It" shelf is in the same location. The bound journal preshelves have moved to the middle section of the short stack on the side closer to the circulation computer in the back. Please ask Nick Fugate if you have any questions as to where anything is. There may be more changes in the future as the desk continues to be reconfigured, so be aware that things may move and keep an eye open for further updates.

Accepting Reserve Material

Hello all,

As it is the beginning of the new semester, instructors are beginning to turn in new course reserve material at the circulation desk. Below are a few guidelines:

• When I'm here, please call me to the Circulation desk to receive the materials, even if what they are dropping off seems straightforward to you. Please do this even if I seem to be busy or not officially on backup. (If I'm talking to another staff person, it is okay to interrupt - reserves are top priority for me.)
  • If I'm not here, go ahead and accept the new materials. Here is the minimum amount of information I need:

• Course information (instructor, department, course number)

Information about texts to go on reserve (title, author, edition if applicable). If they have holdings information about the book - like call number, barcode, etc - that would be helpful to know as well, but not necessary.

If the professor seems at all confused about what information is needed, please have him or her fill out the "Course Reserve Request" form (located in the black filing cabinet to the right of the Circulation Printer).

Place any requests in my Reserves Inbox, located next to the plant on my desk.

• If I'm not here and an instructor has any questions about course reserve, offer them my business card and encourage them to contact me directly. Because of many reserves changes, it is probably better for you not to guess on the answers.

Thank you for your close attention to this matter! Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions, and please comment on this entry to let me know you've read it.

Happy new school year,

Elisabeth

Reserve Articles

I know I've spoken with most of you, but here's a handy reminder about the articles on reserve (located in the manila envelopes underneath the ASL videos).

The call numbers are kind of strange -- they should be seven letters long.

• First three letters are the first three letters of the author's last name

• Last four letters are the first letters of the first four words in the title

For example, the article "Trade Liberalization and Economic Development" by Jomo Kwame Sundaram is labeled SUNTLAE. I'm not expecting you to remember this, of course -- I just wanted to explain why the naming system is so wonky.

IN SHORT: article call numbers are (essentially) alphabetical by author's last name. When in doubt, search by author.

Questions? Comments? Let us know!

Reserve submission forms

Just to reiterate the issue of reserve submissions when I am not at the library:

• Reserve submission forms are in the top-hand drawer of the black file cabinet to the left of the circulation desk.

• There are also electronic reserve submission forms for articles/book chapters.

• Professors are also welcome to drop off a syllabus/list of materials as long as they include their name, contact information, and course number.

I know I chatted with all of you about this, but I wanted to make sure that it was on the blog as an additional resource.

Thanks much, and happy Monday (blergh),

Elisabeth

ApEc 3451

We've been getting a fair amount of reserves traffic for ApEc 3451 lately. We currently have four books on reserve for this course:

• What got you here won't get you there in sales,

• How I raised myself from failure to success in selling,

• How to sell anything to anybody, and

• Proselling

We'll also get several more items for this course throughout the semester.

HOWEVER, there are also materials on reserve for this class at Waite Library, the Applied Economics departmental library. If the students want to check out different items, send them over there (Ruttan Hall 232).

Happy Friday!!!

Elisabeth

Textbooks on Reserve for AnSc1101

Hey all, here's a Reserves situation you might encounter:

AnSc1101 (Prof. Seykora) has ten (yes, ten) copies of Damron's Introduction to Animal Science on reserve. These books have a 2-hour, no overnight loan period. Here's what this means:

• Just like other reserves items, students can only check these books out for 2 hours at a time

• However, after 4 p.m., this 2 hour loan period still holds. In other words, the student can't check the item out at 4 p.m. and keep it until 10 a.m. the next morning.

• For example: if a student checks out the book at 9 p.m. on a weeknight, they'll only get to keep it until 10 p.m.

If you have any questions about these items, please don't hesitate to ask Nick, Steve, or myself. You're also welcome to post a comment and I'll get back to you ASAP!

IN SHORT: Intro to Animal Science (call no. SF61 .D36a 2013, copies 1-10) = NO OVERNIGHT.

Overnight Reserves

Hello,

Lately we have had some issues with overnight reserves. Hopefully, you all are aware that two hour loan reserves checked out after 4pm are not due until 10am the next morning. The problem we have been having lately is that patrons are checking out reserve materials here after 4pm but returning it to Wilson the next morning. If it is returned to another library, the reserve material spends all day in transit, which makes it unavailable to everyone else in the class. So if you work after 4pm, please remind patrons who are checking out reserves that the materials must be returned to Magrath Library.

Thanks,

June 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30