Insanity

stressed.gif

deadlines.gif

Work is insane right now. I'm in a bad combination of boredom and holy-moses-stress with my job. For every one appointment I see, there are five to ten more students who also need to see me NOW! I'm really tired of telling every single child-who-is-supposed-to-be-an-adult that they don't have to major in science to go to med school, that they don't have to choose a bachelor of science over a bachelor of arts to go to pharmacy school, that knowing a second language is not only a good thing, but also a marketable skill, and that "I want to help people" is not going to get them into the nursing program.

I'm also really tired of seeing students day in and day out who have not made any effort yet to think about what classes they need for next semester. The freshman get a two semester guide during orientation, and the continuing students should already know this information. I can handle the ones who come in to confirm their selections, and ask about other opportunities, but the ones who have done nothing for themselves other than booking an appointment drive me crazy. "I need to know what to take next semester" is the phrase of the day--I just want to tell them, "Hell, if you haven't figured it out by now, you might as well drop out of school and work at fast food for the rest of your life."

But I won't. I'll smile kindly and ask them what they are thinking about and explain that they really need to continue with chemistry if they are considering medical school (even though they've already heard that 5 times by now) and that calculus-based physics really does require a knowledge of calculus and shouldn't be taken first. And then I'll dutifully help them figure out a reasonable and workable course load for the next semester, ask them if they have any more questions, then wish them well for the rest of the semester and remind them to email me if they think of something else later.

And then I'll go through the same routine with the next appointment, all the while my inner bitch is tearing her hair out in utter despair, wondering when it's all going to end.

And on top of all of that, my father is going to try to come out for the graduation ceremony. Mom and my uncle Dave will already be staying at the house with us, and I have no idea of how much time I'll need to allot to Dad that may take away from time with Mom and Dave.

Oh, and yes, I am fine, by the way. How are you?

Posted by mahlu002 at November 18, 2004 08:12 AM

I was wondering why you haven't been in very much lately...if I still worked there, I'd probably be finding reasons to skip too.

Hope to see you soon. I've been meaning to stop by and talk with you and Jane, whenever possible. Also: as long as you don't let the inner bitch wither away and die, you'll be fine; that's really what makes people interesting.

Posted by: john. at November 30, 2004 02:04 PM

I have too much to do. I have this data entry that needs to be done on a daily basis before 3 - so right now I've been working through lunch a lot and trying to leave a bit early...doesn't always work, but...

Posted by: Philip T, Hunter at November 18, 2004 12:38 PM

Since you asked, I'm stressed, too. Though my stress comes from deadlines I have little hope of meeting and a lack of understanding on my part how I might possible accomplish everything that must be done the next couple of months failing a sudden shift to 30-hour days. So I hear ya.

I love the question about whether calculus-based physics might actualy require calculus. D'oh!

Posted by: Stacie at November 18, 2004 08:27 AM

Remember personal info?

The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author.
The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.