« Cubicle Makeover | Main | Pet Rugs »

Dogs in Heaven

Today's Mother Goose & Grimm really reminds me of Caela. One of the biggest reasons I never appreciated Catholicism is the belief that animals don't have souls and won't go to heaven (what-/whereever that is). I doubt that Caela is catching frisbee halos or retrieving anything in general, but if she is anywhere, she's happy. Probably laying in the sun and basking without ever getting too warm.....

grimmy.gif

"The Rainbow Bridge" is a story that is frequently provided when pets die. Our vet sends it in a sympathy card when appropriate. I first stumbled upon it in 1993 or 1994, but it's been around even longer than that. Here is a cute little flash movie of the story, edited only slightly: Rainbow Bridge flash. Petloss.com is another good site for information on "The Rainbow Bridge" and the Candle Memorial Ceremony.

Really good information can be found on site .

Appreciate another significant article. Where else could anyone have that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

good post...

neat design here. did you download this of the internet or was it custom made? I haven't this seen design ever before so that's why I'm asking..

Will this horrible torment ever end? My, little dog Nell died of Advanced Lymphoma and enlarge spleen Nov. 8 2008 My,brother died Feb. 9, 2009. I, am so empty and sad.

We have just lost our best companion friend DDay a few hours ago. DDay was a German Shepard, Doberman and Boxer mix that we bought on a farm on June 6, 1994. We named him in honor of the bravery that our soldiers, sailors and airmen exuded on that day during WWII. And man, he sure lived up to his name! Like so many others, our DDay's hips started giving him problems some time ago, and he began his very slow decline into old age and the medical conditions that accompanied that process. We thought we had a couple of days more after leaving the vet's office Friday evening, but it turned out that we only had another 18 hours, but did not know it. He went downhill very fast the next day unexpectedly and we had to take him to the vet to carry out our fears. He was 14.75 years old and his body just gave out from the old age process. We kept him clean and fed very well (ate lots of fresh vegetables). He was bathed twice a month and he used to go into the bath tub with his head hung low on command - almost as if to say "...OK, I'll go, but I don't have to like it... He was always happy afterwards, though and would bound through the house to let everyone know that he was "fresh and clean". He and John used to go to the store every Sunday morning for the "...rolls and the paper..." for many years. I used to have a humming tune for it and would hum it before I got up and he would jump up from his comfortable bed on the floor next to ours and begin to nudge me and make grunting and whining noises until I got up and we left. If I laid there too long, he would start pulling the covers off from me until I got motivated! We would share a roll and donut - or 2 - as we drove around our area in those early hours. We would come home and have buttered rolls dipped in coffee. If I gave him a roll without butter, he would simply spit it out and look at me as if to say "..hey where is my butter and coffe dipped roll...? Christmas was always a gas as he helped to tear open presents and then sat there and tore up the paper piles and he enjoyed it immensely! We took many pictures over the years and we are so glad that we did. He was famous for pulling our socks off of our feet and running away with them as well. DDay was raised to be very social. He loved people, and he never bit anyone or was aggressive in any way. There were two people in his whole life in which he growled at and bared his teeth, and they were both mean people - talk about a dog's intuition! He loved children and women. He was a standoff with men until he got to know them. DDay was extremely loyal, very affectionate, fiercely protective, calm in nature, poised in spirit, highly intelligent, and our best friend. He will be missed terribly. Some people wonder if our beloved pets go to heaven. Mark Twain wrote "Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit,you would stay out and your dog would go in." I wish all who have lost a wonderful friend the peace and stillness in spirit in knowing our friends await us, and we will be together again with them and all of our loved ones when the time comes for each of us. In the meantime, stay safe, be happy and cherish the memories that we are all fortunate to have during our lives together. God bless you all.....John J & Deborah

I lost my best friend, Maggie- a 5 yr old min schnauzer. She was the best dog I ever had . She had frequent bouts with pancreititus and was a diabetic. A few months ago she went blind. Even though she remained loyal and affecinate... She was wonderful but her tiny body gave out - my heart is broken... I hope to see her in heaven !

my scotty just died she was 8 years old she had a spleem tumar pure breed it happened so quickly was taking her to get her teeth cleaned and this happened she died on nov26 o8 she loved turkey bought a turkey for her for thanksgiving going to bake it never did she died threw it away she had everything closed in yard closed in porch trees in the yard to lay my husband took her for a ride every day went shopping with us never was home took her everywhere macys she loved clothes she was very good a good temperrment never forget her why does this happen

I Lost my Jasmine to cancer Nov. 3 2008 It was sudden had her spleen taken out everything was great, she was so happy that lasted one week , than something happened her cell count went down again took her in to vet. died before she got the blood she needed. The vet. kept her all night long as it was on a weekend Sun. night. She never got the chance to live the second time because of the vets bad decision. It want ever happen to another pet of mine. She was my heart I dont feel like living without her.I cry two or three times a day. I cant believe she is gone. I feel like I die a little each day. No words can tell of my loss. She was a beautifuly Pomeranian only 9 years old. She made everyone feel so special. She met no strangers I dreamed she came back and I got to hold and kiss her again. I had prayed hard to see her and know that she saw allright than one night my prayers were answered. I think I could make it allright if I could dream of her every night. Jasmine I Love You ---a day never went by that I didnt tell her that. My heart goes out to all of you whom has lost a pet.

Hunter was my best friend for the last 8 years of his 10 years. My buddy and constant companion. I miss your kisses and warm friendly tail. Hunter, you are the best friend that anyone can ask for, you loved unconditionally and without fear. I love you and miss you, wait for me Hunter. xoxox daddy

My baby girl, Isabella, a Scottie Terrier just died yesterday. She was only 4. She was the best little dog ever. She always wanted to be with me and she was always looking for attention. I will miss her dearly and hope I see her again one day. Until then, I hope she is happy and having fun. I love you & miss you Isabella.

My best friend Happy Milligan dies thursday 9-18-08 he was a Bichon Frise
He was always there for me
I could not go anywhere without him being there
I sit down he was in my lap
I go to bed he tucked me in by getting on the bed for a good night rub down from me
he was there EVERY morning when I woke up to welcome me
what can I see
He was always there
I just have to talk about my Milligan
my heart aches as I think He will never greet me again
I am so sad

I just lost my baby girl Star yesterday a lab-mix. i feel so sad and have so much pain, i miss you more than words can say. I know your in heaven with Peche, you will alway be in my heart, i will never forget you baby girl!Please wait for us in heaven.

Love always
your mama

Hey everyone,

"JACK". Our Jack russell Chihuahua.Passed away 3 days ago 30/8/08. :(. He was 14. My family and i loved him dearly. It is hard to cope without him, but i truly beleive he is in heaven and that i will be united with him and all my loved animals. Many fun and happy memories. We will never forget.
Love you Jack

I lost my precious special child, Tiffany, a toy french poodle. She was my best friend. She is the wall paper on all my computers. The hurt never goes away.

I lost my dog Shadow 2 days ago. She was a German Shepherd that was 12 1/2. I adopted her when she was 6. I loved her more than anything in the world, and can really appreciate all you stories. I feel like something is missing all the time, I keep looking for her and feel like she is always with me. She hold a piece of my heart always! I will be happy to see her again one day, which I know I will! I just miss her so much, I don't wish the pain of losing a doggie (or kittie) best friend on anyone. But the pain I felt when losing her was worth having her for 6 years, but is was too short. I LOVE YOU SHADOW! I hope you have fun chasing Barney until I see you again.

Last Sunday after noon I lost by best friend Pepper. He was a part lab part Golden retriever. I miss him very much and would do anything to have my friend back , I find my-self trying to pretend he is not gone but I end up hurting more when I can't find him in his spots in the house. I come home from work in the middle of the night and he's not there to come to the door any more. I feel lonely with out him , I would give anything just to hold him and hug him again and tell him he's a good boy,. I pray that he is in heaven and on day I will get to have my friend back. I can close my eye's and picture being with him but for now I keep him in my heart and my memory's. I beleive in my heart god is taken care of him and I can only pray that I will see pepper again. I love you Pepper and I miss you boy , you will always be my friend and a part of my life and I will always keep you in my heart,and I pray every day that when my day comes and I do open my eye's I'll have my friend back. I love you and miss you pepper,,he's a good puppers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!May all of your prayer's be answered.

Helo eveyone, i decided to writte hear because I feel in the same way ike you,,,My poodle just died 2 hours ago, his name is COCO, he was only 12 years, I am still crying and I dont feel good,,,he was my friend,,, I came from Ecuador and now I am living in USA for 6 months and my friend COCO came with mee too,,,,he was always with me, he was everything to me, he was always with love for me, I wont never you COCO,,,I love you my friend!!

Franklin O.

I'm going to miss him terribly.

:(

Franklin O.

I'm going to miss him terribly.

:(

I really miss my precious boy Foo so much. I had to put him down a week ago tonight around midnight. He was almost 15 years old, and I had had him since he was born in June 1993. His entire life all he wanted was to be with me, whereever I was, watching and loving me. He was about 65 lbs in his prime, and my best friend. I pray that you are all correct, because the thought of reuniting with Foo is the only thing keeping me from coming entirely unglued.

Animals become a very close part of our lives, one of the family and if you believe in heaven then you would hope your pets and animal friends are there with you, for some losing a pet is just as traumatic as losing a human family member.

I just lost my dog Pebbles. She was a 14 1/2 yr. old Yorkshire Terrier. We were very close. I will miss her dearly but believe I will see her again in heaven. In the end, she could not see or hear and lost her battle to heart problems. She was still happy to be with me and Mark despite being blind and deaf and sat near our sides and still loved to eat and be petted. But it was her time when her heart gave out. There was nothing more we could do. She was then suffering and we had to put her down to end the suffering. Mark and I will love her forever and ever. She brought us both so much joy!

I just lost my baby boy peanut Jan 07 2008. He was a 75 lb. Pittbull mix. His sister Angel passed on Jan 23 2006, both from cancer,And also my love Taz 8 years ago. They were the loves of my life. It never gets any easier. I know that they are in heaven, the one and only heaven. If man and beast were together on one earth then they will be together in one heaven.

I have read a lot of spiritual books over the years, especially about souls and afterlife. The general idea is that your pets souls are permanently attached to your many lives and that in past lives you have had the same pets souls within whatever pets you choose. A lovely idea I think.

Yesterday, I said goodbye to my best friend...my 11 year old aussie named Gizmo. Gizmo always knew when i had a bad day, or needed the love which only she could provide. She helped me make it through some very tough times...times which i wasnt sure i could make it through. I loved her, with everything in my body and soul. Today i grieve for my loss, but rejoice my Gizmo is no longer in pain. I am confidant, that one day, my best friend and i will once again meet up in heaven. Goodbye my old friend...one day....

I lost my boy today. His name was Mickey. He has a poodle about 15 lbs. Mickey died early, he was only 12 and had an auto-immune disease that took him in 3-4 days. His 12 years were good ones, it just went by too fast. Everybody loved him and he loved everyone. I'm going to miss him terribly.
Love you Mick

I had to put down my best friend yesterday, his name was Ruff. He was almost 16 years but just got to the point that he was a bit of pain, couldn't see, or hear. Not much of a life but I had to let him go, I loved him more than anything, and it tears me that he is gone. I am hoping that I see him in Heaven. Ruff, Daddy Loves you.

Hello everyone,I just wanted to share a memory with all of you, about Jodi Lynn my baby girl. I lost Jojo on november 12,2005.I have always had a dog in my life,& all of them have been loved & spoiled rotten! I bonded with all my babies, but with Jojo it was just a little different.She was with me all the time,Jojo would never let me out of her sight.She had to always know where I was, & if she thought I was on the computer to long, I would hear a small growl, & I would look at her, & her tail would be wagging!The truth is I am still grieving for her,I can't believe I won't see her again until I die.I love,& miss her so very much. What keeps me going, is this separation from Jojo is only temperary. The next time GOD allow's me to have my Jodi Lynn, she will be in no more pain. I Can't wait.

Hello Everyone,
Its so hard to lose a pet... Today I lost my Dog of 12 years... His name was Rex, He was one of the best Dobermams around... The dog never hurt a fly... But his legs gave out on him and there was nothing the Vet was able to do... This is the second dog Ive lost.. I had another mixed Doberman collie and German Shep.. She was 11 When she past her name was Missy her and Rex were very close to each other.. I know she is up there in Heaven greating Rex "Welcome Home"....

am grateful to those individuals who have created this website. I've lost Ash and miss him so much. He was like a child to me. I'll always have him in my heart until we meet again. Thank You, For this your wonderful creation.

Personally, I believe that any animal that is capable of love is capable of having a soul and because of this belief, I believe that we will see our pets again in HEAVEN

It wouldn't be heaven without dogs, therefore dogs CAN go to heaven.

There are a couple of different things. There are several churches of several denominations that hold "blessing of the animals" ceremonies. I've never attended, but mom has in Laramie.

Doggie heaven is also the unofficial name of one of Mpls's first unofficial dog parks (I don't know if it's been incorporated into a park yet). Apparently there is a particular stretch upon the river that dogs & their people love. Never quite figured out where it is myself, though.

I've heard of some Mass for Pets or something that some churches have...blessings and all. I always thought the idea of "Dog Heaven" and "Cat Heaven" was a bit odd...are there seperate ones for each? I think they all get to go to regular heaven and we can meet them again and play with them. My first cat Bandit (named after the movie Smokey and the...) used to sleep with me almost all night by my side or at my feet. That was so cool!